For the NASCAR fans

DRIFTER_016

Sprint Unlimited Race is on at Daytona tomorrow night and the 500 next weekend! Jeff Gordon was good in the booth on a couple of Xfinity series guest appearances last season and I think he will be pretty interesting this year. Some of the other commentators are very good too but they have very little experience this century for the most part so it will be nice to have some fresh blood.

Love the ad too, and whether OI cares or not, some people do.

I'll be watching the Unlimited to see who stands out as the team with the best handling car set-up after sitting idle (from a racing perspective) all winter. You could be surprised by how little downtime teams take after a season of racing completes. They are back in the shop building cars and parts most of the off-season.

Thanks for the clarification i2cool2fool. Can't wait for the Daytona 500 then. A non-points event is like pre-season hockey, footfall, etc. to me.

Actually, the non-points races are usually better than the points events since the drivers and teams can 'go for broke' without affecting their championship points. Some of the greatest highlights of all time come from the special events at Charlotte and Daytona. Despite the race being called the 'Unlimited', the cars do in fact have to follow all the rules they do for a normal race.

Anybody remember this classic from the Winston in '87?

https://youtu.be/Uo4y7MJfeIs

Or the '92 version where the race winner had to be cut from his car?:

https://youtu.be/XVmpj-civ3w

How 'bout the '09 Bud Shootout:

https://youtu.be/yGeaaf8WWOU

Edited by G.mech

Actually, the non-points races are usually better than the points events since the drivers and teams can 'go for broke' without affecting their championship points. Some of the greatest highlights of all time come from the special events at Charlotte and Daytona. Despite the race being called the 'Unlimited', the cars do in fact have to follow all the rules they do for a normal race.

I thought last year they had what ever they wanted for horse power.

In shorter 100 laps the can run vegetable oil and not much you can run 5 wt gear oil and every bearing has less than a dap of Vaseline. So they look like a 500 car they just run faster and grenade bigger.

I'm not understanding what you are saying. I need to learn something new daily. Veggie oil has a far lower combustion temp than 5 weight oil, Vaseline?. Wouldn't the engine burn dry immediately?

I liked that commercial..lol The race last-night was very entertaining..Checkers or wreckers is the way I like them..Im not a Gordon fan at all, never have been but I gotta admit he provided some very cool driver insight...Looking forward to the 500..I bet it will be boring in comparison to last nights race though.

It kind of hit me during that broadcast that the play by play was really boring. The technical discussion was all really good and Gordon was definitely a breath of fresh air but there was zero emotion or excitement in the race call like there used to be (remember Ned Jarrett when DJ won the 500..???). If the broadcasters can't get excited about the race it's hard for the fans at home to.