First time ice fishing help!!!!

mattp33

Hey guys, as many of you know I dont have many questions when it comes to soft water besides who wants to come with me...

Well I just got invited on my first ice fishing trip to meme

What are the basics that I need to bring?

Rod Reel tips ups? We have a hut, and buddies got an auger and I think he has a flasher as well.

I am heading to Cabelas to stock up on some things but I have no clue even where to start.

Any help would be great. I have an HDS5 should I get the winter ice package for it?

Thanks

Are you planning to start ice fishing regularly? Because there is tons of gear that you could buy. But if it's only for one trip, or a trip here and there.. A lot of things you can get by with out.

The reality is, if your friends have all the gear already. All you really need is a rod and reel. Maybe 2 set ups.

Tip-ups are my least favorite method. I have them, but never use them.

Having an ice transducer helps. But again, for the cost, you can get by with a summer one. I did for years. The ice ducer makes it much easier to set up and mark your lure in deep water. but in shallow (30' and less) you shouldn't have an issue with your suction cup type. I assume you have a portable unit, with a suction cup mount.

Some common gear:

• Ice picks
  • Ice cleats (slip on over your boots)
  • Warm weather gear
  • Ice rods and reels
  • Jigging spoons/jigging raps/ Buckshot spoons/ Williams hammered half and half... Lots of little jig heads....
  • Spring bobbers (for your rod tips
  • Rod holders
  • A container to keep live minnows in, so you can move around, and keep a small amount of minnows with you. I just use a old tuperware container
  • Auger (hopefully your friends have one)
  • My preference for line is 10lb ice braid, with 8lb fluorocarbon leader

You know what... Just meet me a cabalas and give me your credit card....

LOL

Thanks for the tips, I'm not sure I will take it up full time as I dont have the time. I would like to try it out tho. The HDS unit sits on the front of my boat so it doesn't have a battery I would need a lot for that. Think I will pass. But I will need a couple of rods by the sounds of it and some tackle.

Are the $50 combos better than the $30?

Also what size line should I be using for the walleye bite? Do you ever use braid with a floro leader like I would in soft water?

Just caught the line comment thanks

Edited by mattp33

LOL

Thanks for the tips, I'm not sure I will take it up full time as I dont have the time. I would like to try it out tho. The HDS unit sits on the front of my boat so it doesn't have a battery I would need a lot for that. Think I will pass. But I will need a couple of rods by the sounds of it and some tackle.

Are the $50 combos better than the $30?

Also what size line should I be using for the walleye bite? Do you ever use braid with a floro leader like I would in soft water?

Just caught the line comment thanks

You can use braid and flouro (I do) if you're fishing in a nice warm hut but if you plan to fish outside you need a coated braid or it will freeze up badly.

I use Tuf-Line Duracast but it has been replaced with a new version called Supercast.

It is coated and doesn't ice up any worse than mono.

If you can get away with the small spools of ice line pretty much any of the ice braids will work for you too.

It's like with anything, the $50 combos are better then the $39, but you don't need it. Best bet, if you have a small real from a summer combo you like, add that to a ML stick, St. Croix and Fenwick make my favs but even an Ugly stick is good.

If not, get a pre-made ML or L combo, toss out the crummy line and you'll do great.

I'm looking a tote jammed with ice fishing rods and reels. That box is earmarked for Fish Farmer that in turn donates to kids. I have a rod and reel for you. Where are you located. You might have to cover shipping. Look on Google map for Selkirk or Cayuga On that's where I am. There are a few ice fishing lures for you to start up.

All I ever ice fish with is a stick.

Cut a piece of 1x3 spruce about 10" long, saw a big v in each end and wrap 17lb trilene around that. measure how much one wrap is so you can count and know how much line you put on and when you let it out you can figure the depth by counting. You can adjust the length to make it exactly 2' if you want

Get a nice willow branch, stick it standing up in the slush from drilling the hole, put the line down, wrap it on the willow branch and put a bell on the end...poof, you're ice fishing...can't beat hand lining a 5lb laker or whitie out of 80fow.

If you're in a hut, unbend a wire coat hanger and stick it somewhere and it replaces the willow gad.

For smaller fish, use a lighter leader line..I like heavy main line because when the hole freezes you give it a boot and don't need to worry about hurting the line. Don't use braid for a hand line

Thanks Ironmaker

I am heading up tomorrow so I laft this last minute...

I see this going to be a drinkin weekend anyways lol

Thanks for all the advice guys, knew I couldn't go wrong here!

If you're mostly drinking, don't waste money on rods and reels...get a stick