IF you were going to buy a new laptop

Big Cliff

Going to let you all in on a secret!

There are only 2 manufacturers of PC parts in the world; Intel and AMD.

Dell, Lenovo, Acer, Asus, Toshiba, Sony, HP, etc etc etc all use the exact same parts to build their laptops. The only difference between one and the other is the enclosure and peripherals.

In terms of performance there will be no difference when comparing two brands, provided the guts are the same.

That said, get a laptop with a solid state drive. This alone makes a laptop amazing.

Going to let you all in on a secret!

There are only 2 manufacturers of PC parts in the world; Intel and AMD.

Dell, Lenovo, Acer, Asus, Toshiba, Sony, HP, etc etc etc all use the exact same parts to build their laptops. The only difference between one and the other is the enclosure and peripherals.

In terms of performance there will be no difference when comparing two brands, provided the guts are the same.

That said, get a laptop with a solid state drive. This alone makes a laptop amazing.

if you're talking processors, then yes, you are correct, however, video cards, sound cards, motherboards, RAM, harddrives, all have numerous brands

different computer builders will use cheaper components to keep the end cost down. for instance, components made by gigabite are a lot cheaper than components made by say NVidia, or Corsair.

for example, NVidias top of the line video card, is running around $1500 just for the card, you still need the rest of the guts to make it work

Edited by FloatnFly

if you're talking processors, then yes, you are correct, however, video cards, sound cards, motherboards, RAM, harddrives, all have numerous brands

different computer builders will use cheaper components to keep the end cost down. for instance, components made by gigabite are a lot cheaper than components made by say NVidia, or Corsair.

for example, NVidias top of the line video card, is running around $1500 just for the card, you still need the rest of the guts to make it work

Correct as Intel and AMD ONLY do the CORE (heart of the pc) and there are many other low budget other parts that can be used. Hence Tier 1 (Dell, HP, Lenovo) and Tier 2 and lower... You Do get what you pay for...

Correct as Intel and AMD ONLY do the CORE (heart of the pc) and there are many other low budget other parts that can be used. Hence Tier 1 (Dell, HP, Lenovo) and Tier 2 and lower... You Do get what you pay for...

i've got a custom built tower PC that i put together myself, the initial output of components at that time was surprising, as it was my first build, 5 years later, still going strong, only thing i've done is add a sound card, and considering switching to an SSD for faster load times

Edited by FloatnFly

In addition to that there are different levels of processors. Intel makes Celeron, Pentium, and Xeon. They are not all the same.

As soon as Windows 7 came out I was in the market for a new PC. A few weeks after W8 came out I couldn't find anything with Windows 7. I also was told by a guy on a techie talk show 85% of Apple systems are shared with all the others in both hardware and soft wear. True or false?

The other question for all you techies out there is whatever happened to Windows 9?

XP is the best MS system I have ever used.

Correction; there are only two baseline video card manufacturers in the world; NVIDIA and AMD. I thought NVIDIA was owned by Intel by that is incorrect.

The other manufacturers (ASUS, MSI, gigabyte, etc) license the architecture from NVIDIA/AMD and merely re-package the product.

Gigabyte is amazing by the way. Great bang for the buck, and above all the products just work. I've never had a gigabyte motherboard fail to POST. They come up with firmware updates quickly, too.

As soon as Windows 7 came out I was in the market for a new PC. A few weeks after W8 came out I couldn't find anything with Windows 7. I also was told by a guy on a techie talk show 85% of Apple systems are shared with all the others in both hardware and soft wear. True or false?

The other question for all you techies out there is whatever happened to Windows 9?

I guess it depends how you look at it; I guess you could say it's true. Doesn't mean it's a bad thing. Apple makes a great product.

If I recall correctly Windows skipped 9 for a couple reasons, first and foremost it's a marketing move. Secondly, they wanted to avoid problems with software detecting windows 9 as 95 or 98 due to crappy coding.

heres the answer direct from Microsoft: Windows 10 because 7 8 9. no joke

http://betanews.com/2015/05/08/microsoft-jokingly-reveals-what-happened-to-windows-9/

Correction; there are only two baseline video card manufacturers in the world; NVIDIA and AMD. I thought NVIDIA was owned by Intel by that is incorrect.

The other manufacturers (ASUS, MSI, gigabyte, etc) license the architecture from NVIDIA/AMD and merely re-package the product.

Gigabyte is amazing by the way. Great bang for the buck, and above all the products just work. I've never had a gigabyte motherboard fail to POST. They come up with firmware updates quickly, too.

Licensing the architecture is not the same as re-packaging the product.

Licensing the architecture would be paying royalties to manufacture your product based on the licencer's designs. They may or may not be manufactured to the same quality standards.

Re-packaging the product would be purchasing a product already manufactured my someone one else and selling it under your own brand. These may also be a different quality. E.g. NVIDIA could make a lower quality version of their product to be sold by someone else under a different brand name.

pretty sure each company has their own design and chipset, they license the rendering engines from nvidia or amd

AMD (CPU guys for those wondering) bought ATI (graphic chip MFG guys) over 10 years ago for a few reasons. Production style is part of that to lower total cost for both companies sharing technology. However they were and still (in my eyes) the best graphic controller card/chip company out there. NVIDIA runs a close race for performance at an even lower cost.

With that said what would I spend my hard earned cash on today if I was to go get another new laptop? An AMD CPU and the rest packaged by Dell, HP or Lenovo. A solid State HD is nice but not what Cliff needs as he doesn't need it to happen yesterday and spend more for an SSD. He (like 90% of so of us) can get by with a traditional HD. Most people don't even use the performance of the 4 to 8 core CPU's that are out there, heck even the older dual cores...

Cliff back up ALL your files and bring me that old Lenovo and I can bring it back up to snuff for ya but you buy lunch...

AMD (CPU guys for those wondering) bought ATI (graphic chip MFG guys) over 10 years ago for a few reasons. Production style is part of that to lower total cost for both companies sharing technology. However they were and still (in my eyes) the best graphic controller card/chip company out there. NVIDIA runs a close race for performance at an even lower cost.

With that said what would I spend my hard earned cash on today if I was to go get another new laptop? An AMD CPU and the rest packaged by Dell, HP or Lenovo. A solid State HD is nice but not what Cliff needs as he doesn't need it to happen yesterday and spend more for an SSD. He (like 90% of so of us) can get by with a traditional HD. Most people don't even use the performance of the 4 to 8 core CPU's that are out there, heck even the older dual cores...

Cliff back up ALL your files and bring me that old Lenovo and I can bring it back up to snuff for ya but you buy lunch...

I think you've lost the OP by now!! :(

Thank you so much for that very generous offer Geoff. This unit is still working fine and I have switched browsers which seems to have eliminated the problems I was having with Explorer being out of date and I couldn't update past 9 because of Vista. I think we are just going to chug along with this unit for now. As others have said, if it ain't broke, don't fix it LOL.

BTW, I'd be happy to buy you lunch anytime!

I think you've lost the OP by now!! :(

Oh ya, long time ago LOL.