question regarding sucker minnows

huzzsaba

In preparations for ice fishing, I picked up half dozen sucker minnows since I was in the area of the tackle shop and didn't want to miss out purchasing them last minute. I asked for the bigger size ones (for pike) and was told that they would be 5-6 inches long. I should have checked the size properly but upon bringing them home, they seem to be longer than I was expecting which is fine, however they seem to be too crowded in my small tank. I had initially bought a 5 gallon tank for leftover shiner minnows so now there are 5 suckers and 1 chub minnow in there which are all in the 7-8 inch range. The chub seems to be the troublemaker and goes all crazy every little while which makes the suckers jump. I seriously thought one would come flying out of the tank so I had to put some weight on the tank cover so it wouldnt fly open.

My question is, will they be fine for 2 weeks in the tank? Do I need to feed them? I use to give the shiners fish food I had leftover from my goldfish days and they loved it.

I don't have plans to get a bigger tank so I just want to keep them comfortable in whatever space is available in the tank and keep them fed for the next 2 weeks. worst case, despite my efforts and intentions to keep them alive, if they die I will freeze them.

Thanks

For sure keep them coverx or you'll find em on the floor

If possible keep them cold... Really cold.... My understanding is they'll use less oxygen and their metabolism slows down in the cold... Meaning the small tank will then be ok...

2 weeks I wouldn't worry about food... We have kept minnows for 2 months... Then they need food... But they do start attacking and eating the smaller minnows in the tank.... If you put smaller minnows in with that chub it'll start biting their heads off

Thanks for the replies. I have been checking up on them and the suckers seem to just sit at the bottom and the chub is the one looking to stir things up lol. I do have a 2 inch shiner in there so thinking of using the chub for some fishing within close proximity to where I am within this week.

The only place I can think of is lakefront promenade since I hear from a lot of people there are pike there including tackle shops in the area. I haven't seen one or had any bites in the few hours I fished there on multiple days. perhaps a nice large juicy chub will do the trick :D

Edited by huzzsaba