New laws 2016

GbayGiant

How will this effect you?

I see the whole city being stopped mid town.

Ontario: Driver fines at crossovers

Starting Jan. 1, drivers in Ontario will have to wait until a pedestrian has reached the other side of a designated school crossing or pedestrian crossover, or face a fine between $150 and $500. The new law that is coming into effect will essentially require drivers to yield the entire width of the road to the pedestrian, instead of half the road, as was previously the case.

I wonder if they will charge J walkers as well ?

Edited by GbayGiant

Despite what has been covered in some articles, this does not apply at intersections with traffic lights, just the 'School Crossings' and designated 'pedestrian crosswalks'. The media and government did a horrible job communicating this which is why there is so much confusion. Here's a link with a good explanation:

http://www.therecord.com/opinion-story/5789120-road-ahead-i-got-it-wrong-no-crosswalk-changes-are-coming/

Edited by G.mech

If you turn left at a light and there is a pedestrian crossing either you are going through a red or the person walking is doing it with a Do Not Walk signal. No matter just be careful, that usually works best. Our typical Ont Gov. we are too stupid to think for ourselves, again.

If you turn left at a light and there is a pedestrian crossing either you are going through a red or the person walking is doing it with a Do Not Walk signal.

If you're at an intersection with a left turn signal this may be true but at most intersections the walk signal and green light are both on simultaneously. If you are turning left you could be crossing the path of a pedestrian crossing on the green. It really has nothing to do with the new law I guess since it doesn't apply at intersections anyway.

Edited by G.mech

If you turn left at a light and there is a pedestrian crossing either you are going through a red or the person walking is doing it with a Do Not Walk signal. No matter just be careful, that usually works best. Our typical Ont Gov. we are too stupid to think for ourselves, again.

It does not apply to intersections , just those marked pedestrian crossovers that are usually mid block and I honestly have not seen one outside of metro Toronto.

Here is the problem I can see with this new law.

Driver A comes up to a pedestrian crosswalk that pedestrians are using. Driver A says 'I know the new law and am going to abide by it'. And stops and waits.

Drivers B,C,and D behind driver A all have not heard of the new legislation or just plain don't care and have grown impatient having to wait all of 5 more seconds. They show their distain the best way they know how, by laying on their horns and shouting profanities.

Driver A has little self confidence and doesn't like conflict, panics and goes through the crosswalk.

The police pull driver A over and say 'Being intimidated by other drivers is not an excuse for breaking the law!'