Scotty Rocket Launchers

John Bacon

I was wondering if anyone has experience using the Scotty Rocket Launcher rod holders for salmon trolling. I have a chance to pick a few second hands ones up.

Are they strong enough for dipseys and other salmon applications? Any problems getting the rods out of the holder under load? They don't look like they have any kind of release mechanism.

Thanks for all your feedback. I do plan to eventually get some Orcas; but I have an opportunity to pick up some Rocket Launchers with adapters that can be mounted to a track. Based on the feed back, they may be more useful to store the rods that are not in use when I am trolling.

I am also looking at Bert's or Cannon dual axis rod holders. I hope that nobody has had problems with them. I know that the Berts seem to be a favourite among Salmon fisherman. The Cannons are similar.

I use Orcas for all my rod holder/trolling needs. Everything from trolling the flats for small mouth, walleyes with a number 1 dipsy, and trolling huge cranks at 5mph for muskie.

The only thing about the Orcas is the way they release. You have to pull up on the front/outboard side to get them to open, its not a problem but its not intuitive. I've had to school guests several times as they naturally want to pull up either evenly (front to back) or at the rear.

I also prefer the push-button mounts they come with, rather than the twist and turn you get with the power locks.

I got mine at Sail on sale..lol

Thanks for all your feedback. I do plan to eventually get some Orcas; but I have an opportunity to pick up some Rocket Launchers with adapters that can be mounted to a track. Based on the feed back, they may be more useful to store the rods that are not in use when I am trolling.

I am also looking at Bert's or Cannon dual axis rod holders. I hope that nobody has had problems with them. I know that the Berts seem to be a favourite among Salmon fisherman. The Cannons are similar.

Check out Cisco as well. IMHO, they are best.