Using a rifle scope

JoePa

You may find that you get better accuracy at higher power settings simply because you are enlarging the target that much more. ie. if I shoot at a squirrel at using the 2X setting on my scope I see the squirrel and a lot of the background. If I switch up to the 9X setting the hole squirrels head is framed by the scope, makes it much easier to put the shot exactly where I want it.

Mount your scope, a bit of loctite on the screws. Bore sight it, fire a group of 3, see where they impact, adjust the scope to get them where you want then fire another group of 3. Make sure you rest the forend on the stock, not the barrel. If they are all over the place it could be one of four things, you, the gun, the scope or the ammunition. Sometimes even high end scopes are junk out of the box. Find a bullet that your rifle likes that will do what you need it to and PRACTICE. Be very comfortable with your weapon. Then go hunting and remember to share the wealth....

Mister G - its a Pine Ridge scope I got at Cablea's - your right - its a 3X to 9X - my mistake -

OK, I am not familiar with the Pine Ridge line of scopes but if it's not defective it should sill hold zero at 3 all the to 9 power setting.

Cabela's does have some of the very best customer service in the retail market so if you believe it's defective don't hesitate to return it, they will take care of you.

Proper sighting in a scope could literley takes hours if you do it right.

You must have a good solid bench / table to shoot off and SAND BAGS to rest the gun. Get the gun on paper at 25 yards then move the target to 100 yards. I usually sight in all my deer rifles 2-3" high at 100 yards depending on caliber.

Remember when sighting in the gun NOT to let the barrel get hot because now every shot with a hot barrel will be different then when the barrel is cold......and it will be cold when you shoot that monster buck.

Most good rifles nowadays can shoot 1" groups or smaller at 100 yards but not all. Cheap rifles or bad rifles you may never get better then 2-3" groups at 100 yards where that fine rifle will shoot clover leafs at 100 yards.

If you are not getting good groups at 100 yards and you know your scope is tight, trying changing to a different ammo manufacture. My all time favorite is still Winchester Super X Power Points. You do NOT have to pay 3 times the amount for expensive ammo to kill a deer.

If you need more help, just ask.....remember it can be a long process sometimes but VERY rewarding one once you get it right.

If you're getting good groups at 9X @ 100 yrds, why are you worried about shooting the scope at 3x or 4x? It's still going to be shooting straight. You've got a huge target area on a deer.

You should never have your scope turned to anything but the lowest setting while hunting. The reason is if you see a deer close up you will have hard time finding it in the scope because the field of view narrows a LOT on the higher settings. Also if a deer comes running through your area you have no chance to find it in the scope on a higher setting.

If a deer is sighted at a long distance you usually have plenty of time to turn the scope up to zoom in on that kind of shot. And one last thing is if a scope is turned up to the higher settings it will not gather as much light at dawn and dusk when deer are most active so you might have difficulty in seeing it in the scope.

BTW there really is not a huge target to shoot at on a deer if you want to make a quick humane shot. It's about 9" at most, the size of a paper plate and then the area closes in depending on the angle of the shot on how the deer is set up for that given shot.

I have had shots where my only choice was a neck shoot just below the head. This is where all that sighting in that scope comes to pay off with lots of practice too.

Edited by Mister G

That was my point.. You're not using the scope at 9X, the only reason you're doing that at the range is to site it in as close as possible. I can't imagine using 9X out in the field unless I'm making monster shots which I'd never be doing. I've only ever had mine on 3x. More then enough for any shot I'm taking.

That was my point.. You're not using the scope at 9X, the only reason you're doing that at the range is to site it in as close as possible. I can't imagine using 9X out in the field unless I'm making monster shots which I'd never be doing. I've only ever had mine on 3x. More then enough for any shot I'm taking.

I'm sorry, I misinterpreted your post.

In all the years of hunting DEER I have only turned up my scope once to shoot a doe in the head at 153 yards. It was the only thing showing and I'm more amazed I seen her with my naked eye in the first place.