mr blizzard

Sorry boys, I posted in the wrong thread.

I read the wrong tread by the looks of it too. Let's be CANADIANS and look after ourselves first!

I just became of retirement age and my CPP pension after 40+ years of contribution makes what the refugees will get look like change!

And I get asked to give more to charities where ever I go. HOW MUCH can we give?

Guelph businessman funds 50 Syrian refugee families

B822224820Z.1_20151125070543_000_GN01JAD
Jim Estill Rob O'Flanagan,Mercury staff
Guelph entrepreneur Jim Estill is donating money to sponsor 50 Syrian refugee families expected to begin arriving in Guelph over the next two months. His financial sponsorship could reach $1.5 million.
Guelph Mercury

GUELPH — A major effort is underway to bring 50 Syrian refugee families to Guelph in the coming weeks, a community-wide operation involving several faith groups, businesses, and social agencies. The entire effort is being backed financially by one Guelph entrepreneur.

Jim Estill, president and chief executive officer of Danby, is donating the cash to support those 50 families in their first year of settlement. Sponsors of Syrian refugee families are required to have $25,000 to $30,000 per family ready to provide life essentials for an entire year. By this formula, Estill's donation could total $1.5 million.

He confirmed his sponsorship on Tuesday, and said that supporting Syrian refugees is simply the right thing to do.

"This is not pure charity," Estill said in a telephone interview. "You are not just giving people money. You're setting them up to have a life."

More here:

http://www.guelphmercury.com/news-story/6133634-guelph-businessman-funds-50-syrian-refugee-families/

Edited by cram