PROPANE AND WOOD

Mr.Topwater!

Hi. This may seem like a stupid question. Is it possible to share a flue between a wood burning stove and a propane furnace? Is it safe and legal? We're moving to Land o' Lakes area in December (Arden area) .Any recommends for wood stoves and installations in area. Also, good places to buy firewood? Thanks, all.

Edited by Mr.Topwater!

More than likely not at all - I'm not an expert or licensed but it just seems to me that there would be back draft issues from one appliance to the other. I've never seen or heard about shared flues like that - sure would be interesting to have an expert chime in here - I'd like to know too!

Michael

It might be, I'm not a gas tech, but I work with a bunch and if its not answered by Monday I'll ask one of them. But I have seen in the past a hot water tank and furnace share the same b vent stack, though from what I remember they were both power vented so that could be why

Solid fuel includes coal or corn or cherry pits, but for most of us that means cord wood or pellets. The rule here is easy and clear.

IRC M1801.12 Multiple solid fuel prohibited. A solid-fuel-burning appliance or fireplace shall not connect to a chimney passageway venting another appliance.

In other words, only one appliance per flue, period. It goes without saying, I hope, that gas or oil appliances cannot be vented into a flue which also vents a solid fuel appliance. EVERY SOLID FUEL APPLANCE GETS ITS OWN VENT!

AS PER USA RULES

Art

Years ago my dad had a furnace that used 2 types of fuel, NG and Wood (dual fuel). When the temp of the wood fire died down (say in the middle of the night) the NG would take over and keep the house at temp. I'm sure there's Propane models as well.

Because wood burns hotter than gas, it requires an A vent which is higher quality and more expensive than a B vent. From memory, an A vent is an insulated stainless steel vent, a b vent can be aluminum or galvanized or something like that.

Edited by KraTToR

If you're just interested in supplementing your propane forced air heat with wood. You could look at adding and outdoor wood fired boiler with a heat exchanger installed in your existing furnaces plenum. It also has the advantage of being able to heat your hot water as well, and is cleaner than bringing in and burning wood in your home.

http://hawkenenergy.com/how_it_works/