NF - Cougar in town. Wasn't killed

farsider

We have had them in town up here too.

They have never had to tranq or shoot one that I know of.

They have shut down parks they were frequenting though.

There have been bears shot in town as they don't want to risk tranqing them and having them injure someone before the drugs take effect.

We had a lynx run over by a car downtown one winter and early one winter morning I saw a wolverine waling up my street!!! :D

It wasn't killed simply because it hadn't attacked anybody or pets yet, if it had, it would certainly be a different outcome. Most of the cats than encroaching on urban developments tend to be younger cats and not typically the best of health, struggling to survive on their own. Sadly, once these cats realize there are easy snacks within city limits, they become problem animals and are killed.

Relocation of predators is not as successful as many would like to believe. But it's still nice to read a happy story now and then.

Saddly I think we have become a KILL society, we have to be in control! When I lived in French River we frequently saw bears around the house, (we lived out in the middle of nowhere). We didn't run for a gun (well perhaps once or twice because we wanted meat for the freezer :whistling: )

Why do we have to kill everything that we don't understand?

I was so happy when I saw that this poor cat got another chance!

Edited by Big Cliff

I would be really interested in seeing that video.

Unfortunately , I'm not a cut copy paste pro , but my buddy caught one on video in Marten River Ontario yesterday while out cruising for Moose and Birds , he has it on his FB and a copy was sent to MNR for verification.

Seen them too , going back to when I was a kid, to 2012 no more than 200yds from a packed public beach on Canada Day.

Im surprised you seen them( even like i did)

I know they are all around here.

But they are super stealthy and unless sick or injured, imo they stay away from humans.

Just my experience

Video is so blurry all I can see is darkness between it's hind quarters leading you to believe it's a tail. Probably big old momma lynx, but who knows.. I know there are definite confirmed cougar sightings in Temagami. It's not much bigger than the lynx that sat down beside Leah and I a few years back while in the hot tub on our island.

Wayne , first ones I seen were right beside the little variety store on the ski trail in Temagami North , momma and her kits , back in the summer of '80 or so .

They're around for sure .

Beaver , it is grainy , but it does appear to have a tail.

definitely not a cougar, aside from the possible tail, everything else is characteristic of a lynx, I don't think the tail is actually all that long as irishfield mentioned...you can see the black tip moving at one point and is shorter, the rest looks like shadow effect from poor lighting...you can see the shadow effect on the chest too