Drift Sock vs Drift Anchor?

Cloudy15

I have never used a Drift sock and wondered how it compares to dragging a light weight or something behind to slow your drift. Obliviously in really deep water it is an issues and maintaining a consistent speed would bei guess.

This weekend I used a 5lb and 2.5 basic workout weight. and had so i could have ether one on or both with a snap. It worked way better then I expected. The electric could still move me around easily with it down and also helped me find green weeds lol.

I have used a drift sock and a weight in the past on breezy days on Lake Erie. Socks do slow down the drift if that is all you are looking to do.

http://www.ebay.com/bhp/window-weights

These are old window weights, they work well for dragging the bottom in rocky areas, they are pretty snag free and disturb the rocks which can send crawfish scurrying about and attract smallies.

I use a drift sock for trolling under certain conditions. It does cause an oversteering problem though. You tend to zig and zag alot.. Some people tie a drift sock on each side so that the drag is more uniform to reduce the steering problem. They say the IKEA bags make great inexpensive drift socks.

In lake Erie I've read that some charter boats drag a length of chain to attract fish. I've only used drift socks and pails to slow my boat. I prefer drift socks to pails.

The chain sounds interesting. Do you know how long of a chain that they would use? Do they attached a few feet of chain to a rope; or, run a chain right from the boat?

The chain sounds interesting. Do you know how long of a chain that they would use? Do they attached a few feet of chain to a rope; or, run a chain right from the boat?

http://www.louisianasportsman.com/details.php?id=5307

http://www.michigan-sportsman.com/forum/threads/drag-n-chain.340302/

These sites may provide some ideas? A chain right from your boat will probably beat up where ever it comes in contact with it, a rope with the chain on the end is the way to go. Chain comes in a lot of different sizes, which equates to weight variations given the size and length of the chain. The nice thing about chain is you can easily link a couple pieces together with chain links or quick clips to add more weight and still be snag free.

You can even slide a short piece of garden hose over the rope so it doesn't get beat up where the chain hits the rocks.

I'm one for saving a buck, what bags are you speaking of??? Pics??

I haven't used these heavy canvas bags because I'd bought my drift socks already. Apparently IKEA makes canvas shopping bags that stand up to use as drift socks. Sorry I don't have a pic. Anyone ever heard of this?

Any place that installs windows may have some of the old window sash weights around, especially if they are in an area with older homes, places here threw them on their junk iron piles.

Just poking around? 1 inch chain, which is bigger than most people usually see? Weighs around 9 pounds a foot.

It might be easier and cleaner to take a 3-4 inch diameter section of plastic pipe and cap one end, drill a hole in the cap and put an eye hook in it and fill with concrete and cap the other end once it dries?