Puffballs....

Gerritt

Thanks Cliff.I went out this afternoon for a walk and found the weirdest shaped puffball I've ever seen. Shaped like a small cow patty but full of ridges and valleys. I left it there.

Cliff, now I'm confused. Is it 1/2 cup or 1/4 cup of dried puffball you add to that soup? You mentioned both.

Cheers

Thanks Cliff.I went out this afternoon for a walk and found the weirdest shaped puffball I've ever seen. Shaped like a small cow patty but full of ridges and valleys. I left it there.

Cliff, now I'm confused. Is it 1/2 cup or 1/4 cup of dried puffball you add to that soup? You mentioned both.

Cheers

:oops: Sorry about that I actually don't measure but anything around that is fine, Start with about 1/4 cup on your first batch then adjust to taste after that

Found a bunch up near Barry's Bay ( not the giant white soccer ball ones ). It doesn't have to rain but we need multiple nights of cool temps to get that morning dew sticking around longer. Its been dry in my mushroom hunting area however lower elevation, moist spots have been producing like mad - happy hunting :)

• 2 weeks later...

Well I finally got a good sized puffball. Unfortunately a lot of small worms had made their home in it, so I lost almost half of it after trimming. All of it went into the 8 trays of my dehydrator and it did work well. Almost weightless very brittle pieces were the result. Looking forward to trying them in my next soup. Would like to find one more for sure.

IMG_0664_zps3347w0ua.jpg

Btw all the pieces are chalk white, there's just some shadows in the pic.

Cliff I'm wondering if you have a preference in how small you break them up and what the texture is like after adding them to soups. Tks

Cheers

I found them by the hundreds up where we bow hunt for moose.. all small with the biggest about the size of a ping pong ball. Traveling behind another atv resulted in facefulls of green dust from the mature ones..

Well I finally got a good sized puffball. Unfortunately a lot of small worms had made their home in it, so I lost almost half of it after trimming. All of it went into the 8 trays of my dehydrator and it did work well. Almost weightless very brittle pieces were the result. Looking forward to trying them in my next soup. Would like to find one more for sure.

IMG_0664_zps3347w0ua.jpg

Btw all the pieces are chalk white, there's just some shadows in the pic.

Cliff I'm wondering if you have a preference in how small you break them up and what the texture is like after adding them to soups. Tks

Cheers

I usually just crumble them by putting them in a zip lock bag, close it, remove as much air as you can, then breaking them up with my hands (I found this was the cleanest and easiest way to do it) a lot of it will go right down to powder. Sometimes I end up with some chunks about the size of peas or a little bigger. They never really "desolve" into the soup or stew although the powder stuff blends in very well the chunks will rehydrate to some degree the texture will be that of a well cooked mushroom. In a mushroom soup I like the chunks, in a gravy I use the powder. Just remember, 1/4 cup of the dehydrated stuff is = to about two or three of those chunks you started with.

Hope this helps!

Edited by Big Cliff