River Monsters

DRIFTER_016

The one thing i didnt understand about that episode was there was no mention of it possibly being a big pike, pike get to 50+" and can be incredibly aggressive. They have the same basic shape of head and mouth full o teeth yet its just assumed a muskie bit someone? Lol

I guess it doesnt make for good tv to have 2 possible suspects...

The one thing i didnt understand about that episode was there was no mention of it possibly being a big pike, pike get to 50+" and can be incredibly aggressive. They have the same basic shape of head and mouth full o teeth yet its just assumed a muskie bit someone? Lol

I guess it doesnt make for good tv to have 2 possible suspects...

This is the same show that did an episode about 'killer sturgeon' up in Alaska, lol.

Valid point bill, i guess i just cant help but try prop up poor old pike against the big bad musky lol

I love giant snakes, I'd rather catch them then muskies any day of the week!!! He really has no idea what that fish could have been. Most likely a pike to be honest.

Bill, i too love fishing big pike.

I just started on musky this year and have yet to get anything decent.

Is there a big difference in the fight?

My pb pike is 47" and i cant imagine any other freshwater fishing (aside from the great lakes) fighting like that fish did, other then sturgeon, which are insane 45 minute battles even for small ones lol

To this day the best fish fight ive had was my pb 44" pike, this thing gave me everything!

It jumped a few times, it took a couple twisting runs, she lifted just her head out of the water and shook violently and to top it all off when i got her close to the boat she went into a gator roll and the hooks popped out just as my buddy slid the cradle under her. That fish took about 2 1/2 min to get to the boat where as the big musky i just caught probably took half that.

Mind you, the sheer power of the musky is something else, seemingly turning around on full drag and meandering its way to the boat on its schedule not mine lol.

Imo both are strong aggressive predators with a few tricks up their sleeves so i give them both due respect, however i will reserve judgement on which is better until after i put a couple hundred musky under my belt to get a better sample size.

Edited by Gallie

Rick,if you have any doubt about Eagle Lk's ability to produce world class muskie action check out North Shore Lodge's website.

North Shore is 1 of the resorts in that episode of River Monsters

Oh I dont doubt it one bit!

I used to visit the area often when I worked in ear falls.

All im saying is LOTWS is on par IMO.

I was in eagle lake when that tornado hit about 13 years ago

But that pic scares me lol.

Bout 7 years ago I was fishing mainville with my pops and his friend.

We stopped for shore lunch and i went casted off this rock edge. Caught a 41" pike(which is hyyyyuùge for that lake).

For some reason I grabbed it with my left hand? I never do that, always my right hand.

I got the hook out and my dad came for a pic. She flopped insane and I dropped that fish on the rocks(my bad I know)

But on the way down her gill plate caught my thumb, right in the webbing.

By the amount of blood i though she almost severed my thumb clean off lol.

But it did cause nerve damage and I couldnt move my thumb for a few weeks, thankfully it healed properly and no issues now, just a scar

Edited by manitoubass2

Lew do you know how many Musky you have boated over the years? It must be many and for sure more then my 3.

I'll take a Northern over a Musky any day. I know how to catch Pike. But seriously a 40" Pike on light line is far more exiting than a 40" Musky on a cable and a come along.

Lol.

I do still use 20-30lb braid pike fishing

Anyhow I think it was on rainy lake I got a 40" pike while crappie fishing.

4lb mono on a 5'6" light rod

Didnt end well for the pike

That was a good 10-12 minute fight. Fish gassed out and couldnt revive.

In retrospect I wish I had just broke it off

Lew do you know how many Musky you have boated over the years? It must be many and for sure more then my 3.

Nope, no idea Johnny, I used to somewhat keep track for around 10 years and was averaging 80 -100 a year but that got to be like work so I stopped recording everything. Best year though was 115 in the boat and best day was 9 fish in 2 hours.

Been chasing after them toothy critters over 40 years though so yeah, I guess I have your 3 beat :lol:

Edited by lew