Wow!! What a great night!!!

Bly

As some of you know, I've had a tough week with leader breaks and lost fish. After posting on the board and reading everyone's advice, I went out and got some new leader material and made more hair rigs. One thing I decided to try was a little silicone tubing at the knot, covering a little of the line and the eye of the hook. If the problems were in that area, then I was hoping this would keep the knot protected.

After sitting at home watching those amazing storms plough through the area, I wasn't sure if I was even going out last night!! Everything I knew about fishing told me this night wasn't going to be a good one. High winds, big waves in shallow water, cold front...it wasn't looking good, but I had to try...it was my night to fish....LOL.

I got there around 9pm...the winds had calmed down after the storms, but picked up again. I looked at the swim, and it was terrible!!! The biggest waves I've seen there, and the "calm" winds had picked up again. I called home to Cliff and he checked the net and the winds were at 50km/h...gusting to 60km/h.

I put my line in the water and waited...and waited and waited.... The waves and current were moving my feeder and rig all over the place...causing it to get all tangled up. It wasn't looking good! Finally...at 10:15, I had a fish on!!! The problem was, my feeder had moved from where I cast it all the way to the end of a big log that was in the water. Memories of my week came back as it wrapped itself around it almost instantly. The good thing...the fish got off the hook...and my leader didn't break!

I was beginning to think about a skunk...the conditions were terrible. I decided to stick it out for a while longer and I'm glad I did! After an adjustment to my hair rig (I packed soft power bait around the hook. I thought it was too short after lots of pick ups and no fish). Suddenly at 11pm, the bite turned on....BIG TIME! I pulled my first fish a few minutes later....a respectable 30" fish...with 20.5" girth, weighing 15 3/4 lbs!

carp2.jpg

After taking my pics, releasing the fish, checking my rig verrrry carefully, I put my line back in the water. Ten minutes later (11:20pm), I had another one on!!! This was 27"....17" girth, weighing 10 pounds.

carp3.jpg

Like I said...the bite turned on!!! At 11:40, I landed my personal best by weight!! This FAT 33" by 25.5" girth 26.8 pounder came in!!

carp4.jpg

It was getting late...we had to get up fairly early in the morning to visit our oldest at her camp...but I just couldn't leave. I've never caught more than 3 on a single outing, so I said "One more fish!". It didn't take long....at 12:15am, my personal best by length was landed!!! This one measured 35.5", 23" girth and weighing in at 20 pounds.

carp5.jpg

The only thing that could have made this better would have been if Cliff had been there too...who knows how many we could have pulled in as a team! Oh well...it's his turn tonight....let's hope for a great report as well!

Thanks again everyone for your help!!

Bly

PS Sorry team 9..I forgot to put the OFC sign in the picture of the 35.5" fish :(

Edited by bly

Thanks Everyone :)

Spiel.......I am sure the tides will turn soon enough and I will be reading your great reports and wishing!

Roy......Adding one fully set up hair rig and spring feeder to the Lakair packing list!!

bly

That's great Carol. congrats on the two new PB's..and remember, no matter how bad things are, you're only gauranteed not to catch a fish if you don't go fishing ;) . Clearly those Carp didn't know they weren't supposed to be feeding in those conditions :)

Maureen

Thanks Fishing Devil!!

Wow, you caught some biiig fish, there!

Must be quite a battle!

You must have some good line.

What do you use for a light?

That reel has 30lb Spiderwire on it.....so far I have been quite happy with it. The new rigs were made out of 20lb PP that I was given to try out....worked great last night :)

Cliff and I both have LCD lights that attach to our hats.....

hatlight.jpg

You can choose to light 1, 3 or all five of the bulbs. Low battery usage, doesn't seem to spook the fish but just enough to retie, bait your hook etc.. I also carry a medium maglight, just in case. When we really need light, we have one of those rechargeable 100 million candle power spot lights

That's great Carol. congrats on the two new PB's..and remember, no matter how bad things are, you're only gauranteed not to catch a fish if you don't go fishing ;) . Clearly those Carp didn't know they weren't supposed to be feeding in those conditions :)

Maureen

:) That is what I told myself last night as I sat there debating about going home! Re: the conditions.....always hope that if I am willing to try there just might be a fish or two willing to bite!

Went to the same swim this morning....will have my report up later tonight after kids are in bed. Let me just say, you'll see my PB in my report. Thanks Cliff and Bly for your inspiration.

Awesome! Can't wait to read your report! Well as far as inspiration goes...we get that from guys like you!!!