Kawartha Report July 18-25

muskylund1

We had another great trip to Lower Buckhorn Lake this year July 18-25. We boated 21 Muskies in total. I personally caught 14. We also had some good Bass fishing for both Largemouth and Smallmouth Bass. I even managed to catch several Walleyes while taking a break from Bass or Musky fishing.

Overall the size on the Muskies we boated this year was not great. The last several years we have boated at least 1 over 45", but not this year. Our biggest was 40.5", but had quite a few in the mid to upper 30" class. My brother hooked a lost a huge Smallmouth that probably would have been close to 24". We did catch plenty of Bass in the 17-20" range so we definitely can't complain about that.

The strangest thing was how low the weeds were this year. I don't think I've ever seen the weeds that low in the 35 years we have been fishing Lower Buckhorn. That may have been one reason why we struggled to catch Muskies via casting techniques. Typically we boat 80% or more of our Muskies via casting, but this year 14 of our Muskies were caught trolling. Our Bass were mainly caught on Tube jigs along with a few on top water. The Walleyes were caught on a jig and Gulp Minnow.

Tom

006 (Small).JPG

002 (Small).JPG

009 (Small).JPG

016 (Small).JPG