SUV window visor with bug screen

alexw

Happy Monday everyone,

I am planning to take a few days off while summary is still here and do some much needed fishing. I will tow the boat and fish during the day and sleep in the SUV at night. In order to make the SUV more comfortable to sleep in, I am thinking about installing window visors to bring fresh air in and keep the rain out. However, none of the visors on the market comes with bug screen. I am sure some of the OFC members here have done this before, how do you keep the bugs out while leaving the window open? If you know of a product I can order online or a DIY solution, that would be great.

Also, I am curious where people park their vehicle and sleep when they do this type of fishing. Safety is my main concern.

Thanks and happy fishing!

Get some screening for a screen door and some painters tape. Tape it over the windows and you can open them as much as you want without having to worry about getting eaten alive.

Painters tape also won't ruin the paint on the vehicle.

Edited by BillM

Get yourself a couple of computer cooling fans. They're cheap, run on 12VDC and can be wired to be plugged into a power accessory outlet or cig lighter. They draw very little amperage and can be left on for hours without draining the vehicles battery.

Those little fans kick out a decent breeze and help keep you cool during the night.

Between the screens that Bill suggested and a fan or two; it'll be like sleeping at the plaza hotel.

Dan.

Dunno where you will be heading, but I see round side parking areas on Hwy 17 east of North bay- could park overnight there, or maybe those little picnic areas with washrooms?

When I'm travelling I will park where ever. Usually a rest area but have been known to just park on the street or in a gas station parking lot if needed. ;)

Are there Bear proof screens? Your nuts man. Nuts in a good way.

PFFFFFT!!! Bears!!!! :rolleyes:

Had bears sniffing @ my tent in Alaska. B)

My buddy had a grizz pushing in on the side of his tent once.

He punched it in the face because the muzzle flash from the 44 magnum would not be healthy for the tents nylon!!! :o

Cars are much more bear proof than nylon!!!!! :tease: :tease: :tease: :tease:

Could use some screen and magnets as well

Awesome idea!!! You could buy a set of those patio down screens with the snap closed magnets and a couple rolls of flexible magnetic tape. A set of those screens should be enough to do all 4 windows in most vehicles. A surplus type store would sell both of those and the computer fans with all the electrical connections to wire them into the power outlet as suggested, for way less than the cheapest window visors.

Thanks Dan. A fan would be really nice, as long as it does not drain my the battery and I can start the car next morning... :)

Most of those fans draw less then a 1/4 amp; that would be equivalent to lets say a single glove box light bulb. If your battery cannot handle 5 or 6 hours of that; then it's time for a new one.

If you're still concerned, you could pick up a booster pack and use it as your power source for the fan and any lighting you may want?

Dan.

I will see if I could find those magnets from some stores. Also I will get a booster pack just in case. Luckily my vehicle comes with an AC outlet, so no need to do the wiring for the fan.

That said, I think I am good to go. Thanks everybody for your help! This is an excellent forum with many great members like you, who are always willing to help. So thanks again and see you on the water!

we use to plastercine or the sticky stuff to put up pictures or posters,both worked good. We also sprayed the mesh heavily with deep woods off. Another option is to buy a good thermacell that will keep the vehicle free of bugs.

Good point, a thermacell or a mini mosquito trapper / killer is probably needed inside the vehicle, as those mosquitoes are known to get in the vehicle and play hide and seek...

At clearance store in Hamilton I found battery powered fans. about 5 inches. Runs off of 2 "c" batteries. puts out a good breeze. I use them in my trailer when the wind is down.

Really not sure how long they would last if run continuously.

I found a mini AC fan that I bought long time ago, which says "120V, 0.2A", so I guess it is equivalent to a 25w bulb, not sure how long my car battery can last if I let the fan run continuously, but worst scenario, I still have a booster pack as Dan suggested. So no worries there.

Edited by alexw