I know this topic has been discussed here previously, I attempted to use the search function on this site but, to no avail. I'm wanting to purchase a newer hand held gps mainly for on the water but also adaptable to my truck is a nice feature. I have the hummingbird 798 in my boat with built in gps but now finding myself in other people's boat & want to be able to take my (new) portable along. I have an older Garmin 72 which is basically obsolete. I watched a few videos on the Garmin 76CSX & Oregon 400 ($600.00). I was impressed with the Oregon because of the touch screen - It's like my iPhone. I also liked the Montana T which is on sale right now at Cabelas for $600.00 - $100.00 off reg price of $700.00. What do you think of the Garmin GPS map 64 st? It's reg $500.00 reduced to $350.00. During my search I was surprised that Radio World had a small selection to choose from. On the newer models is there an easier way to edit a waypoint as opposed to scrolling through the alphabet to find the letter you want to insert? I find this takes to long to edit that particular way point. Do they come with preloaded maps, charts? I'm sure technology has certainly improved since my older Garmin. Recommendations from the knowledgeable members on this site is greatly appreciated. Thanx

Thanx John, I never thought of that. Is there an app you could recommend? Will I able to add, delete, edit waypoints to the app?

I don't have any experience myself. My friend uses one for his iPhone. He has mentioned that we were near some points where we caught fish in the past, so it must be able to store way points. It also gives him speed. I am not sure what else it provides.

Edited by JohnBacon

Your Mom is probably my age Rick. It takes you 3 buttons to punch and it works for you. Me, it would take me a week at the University to learn it, I still can't work Photo Bucket. I'm serious and to think I used to install 8 tracks and set up everyone's stereos and VHS machines. If shes like me it's a waste of $$$.

Brian a hand held GPS is redundant for you in my opinion. How can you get lost where you live? Go too far one way and they speak Americun, too far east and they speak French. You want one so you can be in control in your buddies boat. If we ever get out in mine when I charge the battery you can drive, no problem. Go nuts, you watch TV and I'll watch the rods. and you can save 600 Samolians.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

I don't know about those super-expensive models, but I have a handheld Dakota 20 that I really like (loaded with just the Ontario portion of the free Ibycus 4.0 topo maps). Only problem with it is I scratched the touch screen in my first hike with it. :\ Still functions fine, but it bothers me.

A good alternative to Google Maps is Oruxmaps, at least for Android users. I'm not sure if it's on iPhone.

I have a Dakota 20 as well, also with Ibycus. I think it was Dana who helped me get it set up with the maps (thanks again!). It works great and is super easy to use. I wouldn't buy anything now that doesn't have a touch screen. That said, if you have a smart phone, I would just use google maps. My automotive GPS has been collecting dust since I got my first iphone in 2010.