Wrecking a boat launch

floater

I went up to a lake north west of Peterborough on sat that my neighbor owns property on. He told me for years about the musky in this lake so I figured I would check it out. It's in the Back roads book and has a boat launch symbol on it. When I got there I saw a hand written sign at the highway that said "No Public Boat Launch". I drove in anyways and saw that the lake is now surrounded in cottages and the boat launch had been bulldozed away. Can Cottage owners do that? I am assuming it was the cottage owners due to the hand written sign. I couldn't access the lake to launch my small boat so ended up fishing on the Otonabee for bass.

Call the MNR and see what they say, but I'm guessing there's no public access to that lake.

+1,

I know of a few lakes north east of Peterborough that the residents go to great lengths to keep non residents off the water. Their biggest fear is the introduction of invasive species followed by the increase of boat traffic. They don't own the water but they do own all the easy access to it.

If there's no public access point I guess you're SOL. Also, some of the residents will become quite belligerent if you try anything. Not a situation I'd like put myself into.

I went up to a lake north west of Peterborough on sat that my neighbor owns property on. He told me for years about the musky in this lake so I figured I would check it out. It's in the Back roads book and has a boat launch symbol on it. When I got there I saw a hand written sign at the highway that said "No Public Boat Launch". I drove in anyways and saw that the lake is now surrounded in cottages and the boat launch had been bulldozed away. Can Cottage owners do that? I am assuming it was the cottage owners due to the hand written sign. I couldn't access the lake to launch my small boat so ended up fishing on the Otonabee for bass.

so what you are saying is I cant drop in at round lake and catch muskie all day???

I wouldn't be so quick to blame the cottage owners. Years ago the MNR stopped maintaining the boat launch on the lake our cottage is on, and told residents they could pay to maintain it or just give it up. It was that way for a long time, and the MNR eventually took it back (not sure what changed).

Maybe the same thing happened there and the residents weren't given the option or just didn't want it....

Edited by cram