Evan Williams Bourbon Bassmaster Elite at St. Lawrence River

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Round_goby

" Round gobies actively feed both nocturnally and diurnally, and are believed to detect prey only while stationary. The primary diet of round gobies includes mollusks, crustaceans, worms, fish eggs, zebra mussels, small fish, and insect larvae. "

I can picture them being a problem during the spawn, but I am not sure how much afterwards, it seems like a zebra mussel would be easier to catch for food?

" I saw the pros bouncing all over the place like ping pong balls. A few of them stuck to the same spot all four days, but most of them were running and gunning looking for bites."

That was the norm even on our lakes here, and most are under 3000 acres.

Just my experience here on Lake Erie for smallies, a spot can be dead for 5-6 hours and then in 15-30 minutes you can catch a limit of hogs and then it goes dead again. For me the best time of the day for smallies on Lake Erie was between 2-5pm, LOL it meant a late start didn't hurt.

Heres one for ya Paul.

There was the 1000 islands tourny on the same river, same weekend Canadian side.

The winner caught 73.79 pounds. A new 3 day record

His winnings, $15,000.

Winner on the other sides 3 day catch would have put him in 9th for the 1000 Island Open.

Edited by Brian B

Brian, I think they were allowed to fish both sides of the river, but it seems to me someone mentioned they had to contact someone when they crossed over? No idea if that involved any down time or inspections. I can't really picture them guys wanting to sit around waiting or go out of their way to be inspected?

LOL, of course the fishing is better on the Canadian side, it's probably cleaner!

LOL Ya cleaner and less flow. NOT

Brian, I think they were allowed to fish both sides of the river, but it seems to me someone mentioned they had to contact someone when they crossed over?

When I fished Erie, just needed a us lic. No asking. Maybe cuz it was pre 911. Amazing how that day really screwed with our countries. :wallbash:

Edited by Brian B

To be honest I think alot of the southern pros have way less practise fishing heavy current.

Its not easy to do.

Sure as mentioned you can position the boat and use your motor to drop shot deeper areas,but it takes a whole new skill set to fish shallow smallies and control the speed and presentation.

Add the chop and muddy windswept water and its tough.

If your not used to those conditions your gonna get your butt kicked.

Im positive I would have been slow rolling heavy black spinner baits with silver blades.

Easiest bait to change speed, fish shallow mid range or deep, relatively snagless and you can fish the current all ways.

Yes, I am sure it hurt the tourism and travel industry. I know people with kids that no longer go to Ontario, they just can't justify the added expense and or hassles involved in getting passports for the family.

I used to make a few long weekend trips to the Canadian side of the falls when I was younger and my kids were young, most young families can't afford to do that now?

:whistling: But our southern border still seems wide open?

LOL, I don't want to get political, so I don't get spanked! Roy has a paddle!

I have seen some of those southern boys fishing tournaments where there are hydro dams, when they increase the water flow it seemed to trigger a feeding frenzy, but of course it wasn't constant 24/7 like he larry.

Also read stories about Billy Westmoreland smallie fishing, different down there than here too, but he made it work.

I fished both the US and Canadian side of the river. You have to have an Ontario license and card and make about a 30 second phone call before entering Canadian water. They ask you a few basic questions about your boat and intentions, then say good luck and have fun. If you plan on pulling on shore, it's a whole different story and you have to visit a check in station.

What I took away from rubbing shoulders with the pros for a few days is just how good they really are. A lot of folks think that if they had the same boat and gear as the pros, they could be as successful. It just ain't true.

There are sooooo many little details that have to be dialed in just right to do well at that level it's mind boggling.

Brian, if I'm not mistaken, the Canadian tournament was open to Lake Ontario...where all the big bags came from, including the one you reference.

However, the American tournament closed their boundaries to the river only....

If I'm not mistaken, that is the reason for the big change in weight...not to take anything away from the Canadian anglers, but SO MANY of the "tournaments" in that area are just "launch points" to head out into Lake Ontario....

" A lot of folks think that if they had the same boat and gear as the pros, they could be as successful. It just ain't true. "

That is so true! You could look at our areas tournaments and the results, some guys seemed to be consistent on any body of water they fished, others once they got off of their home waters seemed to be lost, they just didn't seem to be able to find a pattern on new or less frequently fished waters quickly.

There were plenty of guys driving 40k bass boats here, it only seemed to make a difference in their tournament results for a few.

Brian, if I'm not mistaken, the Canadian tournament was open to Lake Ontario...where all the big bags came from, including the one you reference.

However, the American tournament closed their boundaries to the river only....

If I'm not mistaken, that is the reason for the big change in weight...not to take anything away from the Canadian anglers, but SO MANY of the "tournaments" in that area are just "launch points" to head out into Lake Ontario....

Thanks Steve. Didnt realize that. That would explain.

Like Steve, I think that might have been the big difference? Fighting that constant current has to expend a lot more energy, and I can guess it would affect smallies that tend to frequent a different type of water than largemouth more.

6+ plus largemouth were the big fish the first two days, just guessing that they came from areas with little or no current?

Like Steve, I think that might have been the big difference? Fighting that constant current has to expend a lot more energy, and I can guess it would affect smallies that tend to frequent a different type of water than largemouth more.

6+ plus largemouth were the big fish the first two days, just guessing that they came from areas with little or no current?

I'm sure your're right.

I think it would take me an entire summer of fishing every day on that river to figure things out enough to catch 17+ pounds for four days in a row. Heck, maybe two or three summers. Especially if I had to be off the water by mid afternoon and never fish the evening bite, like the pros.

I dunno, I was following their tracks and while many went far west, I don't recall any hitting the lake proper. Many seemed to hit the Canadian side of the Larry and I would guess they were looking for islands and looking for bass to jump into the current as bait presented itself then swing back into the lee etc etc.. Bass Trakk doesn't have the map up anymore which is too bad ;)

I was there on vacation this past week (US side) and saw a few of these big wigs launching from our camp marina.

We fished the main river for smallies and didnt do so hot (compared to last year where we took some absolute slobs). Took the kayak into the bays and nailed a ton of those stupid largemouth lol (not much size however)

I was there on vacation this past week (US side) and saw a few of these big wigs launching from our camp marina.

We fished the main river for smallies and didnt do so hot (compared to last year where we took some absolute slobs). Took the kayak into the bays and nailed a ton of those stupid largemouth lol (not much size however)

Where did you camp? I was staying at Jaques Cartier State Park.

" A lot of folks think that if they had the same boat and gear as the pros, they could be as successful. It just ain't true. "

That is so true! You could look at our areas tournaments and the results, some guys seemed to be consistent on any body of water they fished, others once they got off of their home waters seemed to be lost, they just didn't seem to be able to find a pattern on new or less frequently fished waters quickly.

There were plenty of guys driving 40k bass boats here, it only seemed to make a difference in their tournament results for a few.

This is true.

It took me 5 years to figure out all the patterns on my home river.

Its insane that these guys travel non stop, fish unknown waters and can still put good fish in the boat.

Imagine the amount of knowledge in the heads of the top guys???

Their like 20 levels ahead of your average bass nut im sure.

I fished a small walleye tourny on my home river 3 or so years ago and i won. 2 pros showed up and were just baffled.

After the tourny i was talking with them and the knowledge they had was just insane.

After I explained what I was doing he was like "man, i had thought about that last night but changed my plan at the last minute"

We went out together the next day so I could show him exactly what I had done and to be honest I wanted to see things on his electonics.

We anchored in 17 fow on the outside of a current seam and casted big 7" leeches into the current on jigs and let them drift into 4fow and bam! We hammered a few 6 and 7 lbers. It was awesome

Then hes like hey, lets troll cranks right through that 4fow and i bet will hammer em.

Sure enough. Now hes landing fish on every pass and there all 7-8lbers.

I always knew those big walleye can be had shallow, but that was the first time i trolled 10 foot diving cranks in 4fow and its a technique i use alot now and the river.

About a year later keith kaveitz(sp) had a seminar on the exact same technique(the vid is on youtube) and he trolls right into 2-3fow

Its a cool technique you dont see often

Brian, The CBAF event was the one that was restricted to the river. The Renegade boys definitely made the run to the lake. Some even ran to the Ducks in that stuff. I give them credit for big brass stones. Even if it was open for me I would not have gone. Just too much of a beating on my gear and old man body. I guess it makes a difference when you actually have to pay for your rig. lol

The biggest difference in the weights between Elites and Renegade is the Lake being open - but take nothing away from the top finishers in the 1000 Island Open, some of them could definitely hang with anyone on the planet on that body of water. The other difference in the weights is that the Elites fish solo - WITHOUT A NET! I don't know about you - but having a net has definitely saved my ass a few times with lightly hooked smallies or largies. And in a team event, 2 baits cover twice as much water and working as a team is simply a bunch more efficient (not to mention a net man) than going it alone. The CBAF event was a true draw meaning the two people in the boat fished against each other which adds complications and strategical implications all on it's own. We don't normally think about "defense" in fishing. lol But in one particular boat in the CBAF event (the one I was in for the grassroots non pro level angler) the boater had 19.5ish and the non had well over 22. You can imagine if they combined their best 5 it would be upwards of 25. I think I would've need my best 10 fish to come close. lol

I don't have a ton of experience in the river but thought I knew enough to hold my own. I was WRONG. Bad assumptions, a weak practice and terrible execution caused me to do terrible. But learned a ton and like the area even more than I did before even though it kicked me in the stones 4 days in a row.

Really beautiful water body - so diverse and stretches on forever and ever.

Charles

I had to re read. Yes your are correct. ME BAD

Thanks Charles and very nice to hear from you. So you are back fishing again? Kids all grown up?

As far as nets go, I still laugh about our time on Rice. :whistling:

Edited by Brian B

I watched some of the live footage. Looked like Edwin was hitting little 2ndary pt likely main land, firing the bait up current and letting it swing around the pt.

He likely hit a 100. You would need to be in great shape getting up and down that many times.

I lost the elite series dream quick, couldn't spend that much time on the road.

Kids are still little Brian but a man's gotta fish right - tourneys are in my blood! The 8 year old has done 2 tourneys and the 7 year old just did her first. Trying to get them hooked early. Results weren't great but nevertheless had a blast and already talking about the next ones. I just wish there were three person events so I could take both at once.

Getting the itch to do a major pro/am again though... Maybe Erie this fall. Will see how the rest of the summer goes. You should come down and insult Andy and maybe Palotta will stick you with me as a punishment... I'm better on Erie than Rice - I promise - uh kinda maybe?! :)

Hope all is well with you.