Bassmaster Elite - St. Lawrence River

MrSimon

Is anyone going to watch any of the festivities in a few weeks?

Coincidentally, I will be up in the area for a long weekend of fishing during the tournament. I'm kind of excited to see some of the pros buzzing around, and I think I'll try and go see the final weigh in on Sunday.

I just hope the areas I fish didn't get pounded during pre-fishing .... or worse yet, have a couple $100k bass boats bobbing around the shoals when I show up on Friday.

Either way, I like the energy that these tournaments bring to an area and I look forward to seeing it up close and personal.

They made Lake Ontario off-limits this year.

I'm guessing since the winner last year made the run every day, that tons of guys would have done the same this year. Having half the competitors spending more time running than actually fishing doesn't make for a very exciting event.

Honestly, There is more than enough fishing spots on that stretch of the river that there is no reason to run to Lake O.

Has nothing to do with a lack of fishing spots... Lake Ontario produces bigger fish than the river. Brandon won the tournament and only got 5 bites some days. But all 5 fish were giants - you can fish the river all day for 40+ bites and still weight less than the 5 you catch on Lake O. It's a gamble, a huge one, but it paid off for him. That said, I'm curious to see what happens with everyone having to stay in the river this year.

I agree the fish could be bigger in Lake O but there are nice sized fish right there. 6 and 7 pounders are getting increasingly common in that area.

The 2013 Renegade bass bag for that area was 27pounds. That is a 5.4lb average.

The 2014 bag for the same tournament series was 24 pounds. That a 4.8lb average.

I have a feeling Charles/Nigel ran to Lake O in 2013 (not 100% sure) so that might not be a great example but I recall the 2014 weights being caught within the St, Lawrence. and that was a back to back 2 day event. 24 pounds for day one and just shy of 24 again on day two. All I am saying is there is no need to got to Lake O. If they have made that area off limits, you will still see large sacks. 20+ a day is my guess although the spawn was slow this year and some weights in that area are down. 18lbs on St. Francis (Other side of the Cornwall dam) and it usually produces the same/slightly bigger than the other areas.

Edited by Lape0019

I agree the fish could be bigger in Lake O but there are nice sized fish right there. 6 and 7 pounders are getting increasingly common in that area.

The 2013 Renegade bass bag for that area was 27pounds. That is a 5.4lb average.

The 2014 bag for the same tournament series was 24 pounds. That a 4.8lb average.

I have a feeling Charles/Nigel ran to Lake O in 2013 (not 100% sure) so that might not be a great example but I recall the 2014 weights being caught within the St, Lawrence. and that was a back to back 2 day event. 24 pounds for day one and just shy of 24 again on day two. All I am saying is there is no need to got to Lake O. If they have made that area odd limits, you will still see large sacks. 20+ a day is my guess although the spawn was slow this year and some weights in that area are down. 18lbs to St. Francis (Other side of the Cornwall dam) and it usually produces the same/slightly bigger than the other areas.

agreed dude... there's no way I'd chance running all the way to Lake O! Heck, I couldn't even afford the gas to do it! haha

looks to be about 120 km's from launch to the start of the lake...maybe more. then how far out into the lake these guys go....

damn. lots of gas....loooong way.

anyone fish the river for largies, or is it all smallies?

wish I lived closer..i'd come out for the weigh-in's for sure.

Edited by Steve

Steve,

Quote function isn't working but the St. Lawrence offers both smallies and largies but most big bags are all smallies. There are decent sized largies in there that would weigh close to the same amount, but you have to travel and run and gun to find them. I think most anglers target smallies in tournaments because once you find them, you know there are more in the same area. Plus, I find smallies fight more per pound that largies.

And just a clarification. The 2013 Renegade winning weight of over 27pounds was caught within the St. Lawrence system,. I checked last night with a few guys who fished the event when this occurred and they confirmed that for some reason, they were not able to make the run to Lake O on that day.

Edited by Lape0019

I know smallies fight harder than largies, definitely.

But smallies are way more boring to target and fish than largies....

That's why I generally target largies unless I'm on erie or simcoe...but even then I refuse to dredge bottom and drag....i'll jerkbait, crankbait, top water....etc...

Brownridge is likely the best largie fisherman I've ever seen....i'll be watching the results this year....great stuff!!!!

But smallies are way more boring to target and fish than largies....

I guess that's a matter of preference. I absolutely love to jig deep structure for smallies and walleye. I don't like casting all that much - probably because it hurts my back more and more as I get older.