It worked! PB

HTHM

So I decided to try downrigging by myself for the first time, in the new boat. Well I am happy to report that the first fish over the gunnel was a 2- 2.5 pound white bass, caught at 30' down on a yellow and black body bait.

I was fishing on Lake Erie, somewhat east of Port Maitland.
The second fish over the gunnel was a PB, 30" walleye that I estimate came in a a respectable 7 pounds. Same bait and 25'down.
My wife was with with me and gave me crap for my enthusiastic reaction to the walleye surfacing. Some off colour words were said....
So many thanks to Simon, and others for demonstrating to me the mechanics of downrigging.
I will try to post a picture soon.

What in the Lords name is a white bass? A silver? A dime a dozen throw backs that tangle your leadcore and Dipsy's into a 40 dollar mess?

You finally have a real life fishin boat. Good on ya Albert. Next you will be telling us you are catching sports fish. Keep it up.

PM me and I will tell you where we are hammering the Walleye. Don't forget you owe me a ride for 3 or 4 years now. I just didn't think a 18 foot Bass boat was too safe in the Niagara River because you did ask. They are limiting out in Bruce now on the perch. Always a go to place.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

Caught a 29 1/4" walleye this morning just out of Maitland as well, weighed in at 8lbs 4 oz

Today's haul for tomorrows dinner!

DSC_0058.jpg

Also congrats on getting down down rigging! Is very effective, today was our first day using planer boards on Erie and it was a learning experience too and paid off :)

Edited by Lucas F

Sounds like the requisite blast was had! 30" walleye would be a dream for me.

Great job, why is your report all highlighted white?

Probably made the same post on another board, then did a 'cut and paste' to put it here. For some weird reason, that's what happens.

Congrats on the PB. Planer boarding is killer on the eyes... downrigging not so much. but I suppose it could have it's moment.

Average girth 26-27 inch walleyes are like 7 pounds, I think ya did better. 30's are probably around 10 pounds or more... Noice fish!!!

Yes Moose, a 30"er here is 10 pounds easy. Planner boards will outfish riggers any day here. Where does it end? Now I'm told without a temp and speed at the ball sensor you can't catch a fish? Come on. For you northern guys a 5 pound Pic here is considered a small eater.

Yes Moose, a 30"er here is 10 pounds easy. Planner boards will outfish riggers any day here. Where does it end? Now I'm told without a temp and speed at the ball sensor you can't catch a fish? Come on. For you northern guys a 5 pound Pic here is considered a small eater.

And in NW ontario we wont eat any walleye over 17" but catch plenty of 30"ers lol

Myself I like to eat 14"ers, mmmm?

And in NW ontario we wont eat any walleye over 17" but catch plenty of 30"ers lol

Myself I like to eat 14"ers, mmmm?