Spinning Reel Seizing up

mattyk

My shimano saros 2500 has started seizing up. I'm not sure what the problem is. I had this happen with a Diawa Lexa last year too. I tried using some reel oil and it helped a little bit but I'm still having issues with it. Any one experience this issue, how did you fix it? Thanks.

Did you take the whole reel apart to oil the bearings? My pflueger has been in the water 3 times but i took it apart piece by piece and oiled the bearings very well all the while spinning the handle to force dirt water and crap out of the working components.

If you dont get right in there the oil wont do much.

Take your time, lots of little pieces that can get mixed up.

Hope this helps good luck.

Edited by Gallie

If you are close to them, Shimano in Peterborough does an amazing job tuning their reels, I think it is $25-30 for a Saros and that includes any parts that need replacing. My Calcuttas and Stradics come back like new after I take them in.

Pete

Had a Symetre do the same not that long ago. Took the reel apart and the big, rubber seal (see diagram part 11121) was worn and torn. It's basically there just to help keep some water but mostly dirt and debris out so I removed it, put all parts together again and the reel works great again. Only thing will be, I'll have to be more careful if dunking it and maybe clean it out a little more often. Check it out, could be the prob.

SH-2500FD_WW_1.gif

Send it to Shimano in Peterborough. $25 and they will open up the reel, clean and service it as well as fix the problem and replace any parts that need replacing. It sounds like it might be the friction ring but can't be sure. I wouldn't take this out as it stops pre-mature bail trip, it locks the bail in so when you cast the bail doesn't fly down...they get warped or bend sometimes and this will slow down the reel.

We can send it for you at Gagnons...if your close to Peterborough do it yourself it will save you the $10 in shipping.

Send it to Shimano in Peterborough. $25 and they will open up the reel, clean and service it as well as fix the problem and replace any parts that need replacing

I'm taking a Calcutta TE into Shimano tomorrow morning for an adjustment and cleaning. They do excellent work there, the pricing is great and the customer service is 2nd to none.