NF - Did you know you have to renew your boat's registration every 10 years?

Cast-Away

I just found out today from another website that the license for my boat has to be renewed every 10 years even if I did not change addresses. Not sure why the Federal Government requires this?

There is no change for this other than the stamp. You can download the form at the link below. You have to fill our section A, B, the reason, D and F.

http://wwwapps.tc.gc.ca/Corp-Serv-Gen/5/Forms-Formulaires/searchrs.aspx?formnumber=84-0172E

The fine is $250 if you are not compliant.

Edited by Cast-Away

My boat was registered back in 1996. At that time it was a one time deal. I just got off the phone with Transport Canada and they said that only those vessels registred AFTER May 12, 2010 need to have the licence renewed every 10 years. Those vessels registered before that date do not need to renew their licences.

My boat was registered back in 1996. At that time it was a one time deal. I just got off the phone with Transport Canada and they said that only those vessels registred AFTER May 12, 2010 need to have the licence renewed every 10 years. Those vessels registered before that date do not need to renew their licences.

Registered and licenced are 2 completely different things. Licencing is required every 10 years regardless of when it was done. Mine was initially done in 96, renewed just before the due date and coming up again in a couple years.

It says here:

Changes to the Pleasure Craft Licensing system:

Recent changes to the Small Vessel Regulations have changed the Pleasure Craft Licensing Process. Now:

• Owners of licensed pleasure craft have up to 90 days from the date of purchase to transfer a pleasure craft licence, during which time you may continue to operate your pleasure craft with the existing licence and a copy of the transfer documents on board.

• Pleasure craft licences are valid for 10 years. If you change your name, address, or particulars of your pleasure craft during that period, you must update your licence by applying to the Pleasure Craft Licensing Centre.

https://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/marinesafety/debs-obs-paperwork-paperwork_boat_licence-1898.htm

Edited by G.mech

What is a Pleasure Craft Licence?

A pleasure craft licence is a document with a unique licence number for a pleasure craft. The number allows Search and Rescue personnel to access important information in an emergency.

The law requires all pleasure craft powered by 10 horsepower (7.5 kW) or more engine, to have a pleasure craft licence, unless they have a vessel registration. There is a $250 fine if you are found operating a vessel without a licence. You must carry a copy of your Pleasure Craft Licence on board at all times and display the pleasure craft licence number on the bow of your boat above the waterline on both sides in block characters that:

• are at least 7.5 centimetres (3 inches) high; and

• in a colour that contrasts with the colour of the bow.

Cost: Pleasure craft licences are free and are valid for 10 years.

I have a vessel registration from the canadian coast guard, hence i dont need a license, as stated above The law requires all pleasure craft powered by 10 horsepower (7.5 kW) or more engine, to have a pleasure craft licence, unless they have a vessel registration

Registered and licenced are 2 completely different things. Licencing is required every 10 years regardless of when it was done. Mine was initially done in 96, renewed just before the due date and coming up again in a couple years.

Thanks Fisherman, I stand corrected. I should have said that my Vessel Licence was issued in 1996. I contacted Transport Canada again by email regarding the need for me to renew my 1996 Vessel Licence and this is what they said:

A vessel license that was issued in 1996 will not have an expiry date and does not have to be renewed unless:

- You have made any changes to the vessel or

- Your name or address has changed or

- You have lost the license document

If any of these three points above apply to you, you will have to apply to renew your license. Once you do that, it will only be valid for 10 years.

So it appears that anyone in a similar position as me does not need to renew their Vessel Licence.

We seem to go through this every year here, if your vessel licence does not have an expiry date on it then it is good for ever.. IF you do not move. (as Randy has pointed out and confirmed with TC). Not sure why or what made Fisherman get lulled into renewing his, but he's stuck with the 10 year cycle now if his latest one has an expiry date on it. If not, stop wasting trees! lol

Edited by irishfield

Thanks Fisherman, I stand corrected. I should have said that my Vessel Licence was issued in 1996. I contacted Transport Canada again by email regarding the need for me to renew my 1996 Vessel Licence and this is what they said:

A vessel license that was issued in 1996 will not have an expiry date and does not have to be renewed unless:

- You have made any changes to the vessel or

- Your name or address has changed or

- You have lost the license document

If any of these three points above apply to you, you will have to apply to renew your license. Once you do that, it will only be valid for 10 years.

So it appears that anyone in a similar position as me does not need to renew their Vessel Licence.

No sweat, minor speedbump..or wavewack..

We seem to go through this every year here, if your vessel licence does not have an expiry date on it then it is good for ever.. IF you do not move. (as Randy has pointed out and confirmed with TC). Not sure why or what made Fisherman get lulled into renewing his, but he's stuck with the 10 year cycle now if his latest one has an expiry date on it. If not, stop wasting trees! lol

Ya, the Postmaster changed the postal code, and that's when the first renewal happened, can they use ash trees for paper, I mean they're cutting them all down anyway. Or would that become :asshat: paper. :clapping: