bail less spinning reels ?

bow slayer

I remember half bails being widely available in the 50's. Luxor, Mitchell, Ambidex and Airex ( made by the Lionel Model Train Company) all had 1/2 bail models. Actually my 1st spinning reels was an Airex Spinster followed by an Ambidex No.4 , both had full bails though. Think you could convert the No.4 to a half bail.

Penn makes some in the 180 price range as does shimano,there is one on kijiji a penn. Just wondering if there is any benefit from these other than the bail prematurely closing snapping off a lure.

Edited by bowslayer

I remember half bails being widely available in the 50's. Luxor, Mitchell, Ambidex and Airex ( made by the Lionel Model Train Company) all had 1/2 bail models. Actually my 1st spinning reels was an Airex Spinster followed by an Ambidex No.4 , both had full bails though. Think you could convert the No.4 to a half bail.

I have one of these. I have never used it. I just like looking at it. It,s a pretty heavy little reel. Stainless with brass and some kind of stone for a reel handle. Might be marble. The drag is a felt washer.

I,ll try to post it later.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Abu-507-Closed-Face-Reel-With-Original-Paperwork-/171834130533?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item28021cc065

I used these pretty extensively, 17-20# test and you can flip or pitch an unweighted plastic worm or 1/8 ounce lure well. No line twist or tangles and great for fishing at night in the dark. The black ring on the front of the reel face is the line release, you just catch the line with your finger and go.