Trout Lake, North Bay

Sterling

Anybody here have experience fishing for Trout in Trout Lake, North Bay?

It's open for 1 week starting Saturday. I can't imagine the trout population is pressured much... so the fishing must be good while it's allowed.

I'll probably find a deep spot and fish the thermocline, otherwise I'm at a loss.

Any tips?

Edited by Sterling

It holds lots of lake trout and atlantic salmon. If you know how to fish for trout you'll find fish! I'll be out there once or twice next week trolling around. The thermocline will not be deep, but the fish may be, since the primary forage (smelt) are typically deep water bait fish.

It holds lots of lake trout and atlantic salmon. If you know how to fish for trout you'll find fish! I'll be out there once or twice next week trolling around. The thermocline will not be deep, but the fish may be, since the primary forage (smelt) are typically deep water bait fish.

I'm pretty new to downrigging but I figure gang trolls and a threaded minnow?

They were stocked, then they started reproducing (think Lake O rainbows). There is a good report somewhere on the internet about them. The only known spawning area is Four Mile Creek (also where the spill took place years ago)... one year they counted like 3 or 4 fish that was it.

I think its very cool that they are in the lake, but I wish they continued stocking them and created a fishery instead of just locking down the lake for trout and salmon. Either way, I hope to get out for trout/salmon this year for the first time.

Nipfisher: any idea whereabouts they're fishing? I figure it can't be rocket surgery - find a deepish spot and put riggers at 25-40ft?

Rod Caster: I read through the report. Very interesting. The population was introduced in the early 1900s, decimated in 1967, and once again introduced in the late 80s. The population was struggling in the early 90s but I presume it's healthier now.

Atlantic Salmon were in lake Ontario but we managed to extirpate them from even that lake. From what I read only Trout Lake has a self-sustained population of landlocked salmon in Ontario. Neat stuff.

Lake Champlaine is also another one of those interesting fisheries that sports Landlocks as well

New Brunswicks St John river is also another one, that sports muskies and some very large ones, with abnormally large girths, and also Atlantics, and ironically the Atlantics DO NOT make up a very large portion of the muskies diet in that river considering the massive girths of some of these fish,

Odd ball fisheries are unique and interesting

I believe the population is healthier now; you hear more reports of guys accidentally hooking into them.

Four Mile Creek used to be the main location for smelting in North Bay. It's been a sanctuary for years, but the MNR just let it happen. As of a couple years ago they enforced it better... I'm sure that'll be good for the young Atlantics.

For years now I've planned on going to the creek to count/watch the Atlantics in the fall, somehow that never happens. I guess counting Atlantics for no purpose other than my own is not high on my priority list.

Went out for 4 hours yesterday and... nada. Fishing with gang trolls + spoons at varying depths. Depth finder wouldn't show a thermocline (first time in deep water with that unit) so I was pretty bummed about that.

Spoke to 2 other boats and they didn't have any luck.

Also spoke to a guy at the landing that caught one while trolling for eyes (too big, released).

Take 2 tonight with threaded minnows.

I've been out three times this week. Caught fish 2 of 3 outings. Most the fish were released, with 2 being of legal size. Largest was about 13 lbs.

I was fishing with steel line, 6" spoon, with a threaded 6" suckers. I was fishing just above bottom, with most fish biting seconds after making bottom contact. Depths was between 40-60. My partner was fishing lead core with a gang troll and spoon with no luck. Closes tonight, go get em while you can. Good luck!