Question about Nipissing

lew

Hi guys, I'm heading up to the West Arm of Nipissing in a couple weeks for my annual musky trip and am wondering about water levels and weed growth.

Last year the weeds were far below normal height and in June were almost non existent in alot of my normal spots.

Anyone know if their growing better this year and are water levels around their normal depths ??

Appreciate whatever you've got.

Hi Lew. Obviously I can't answer you but I was looking at my map last night, specifically the water around Mashkinonje Island. It occurred to me that there is a lot more water up that way than I have realized over the years. Looked like some decent weed bed depths too. I do remember drift fishing up there with my dad as a kid but I don't ever remember us fishing for musky up that way. When you stay up there do you fish there or head over to the west bay. Good luck on your upcoming trip.

Morning Fred, I do fish that area a bit but not really enough to even learn the decent spots.

99.9 % of my fishing is done where you and I go plus Aikenheads Bay and the Merganser area.

Hopefully we'll get out again in August.

Edited by lew

Hello Lew

The water level is a little high right now. My docks are OK but some docks that have sagged over the years are underwater.
There has been a lot of rain over the last month and it's raining heavy this morning again.
Haven't paid much attention to weed growth but I'd say it's behind normal.

Thanks for the info Bernie, I don't mind the water being up a bit but was sure hoping for some good weed

growth this year. Last year was brutal for weeds and even into late August they were far below normal.

That would be nice, but of great import is that Diane bring her wine. :)

C'mon Fred, you know Diane, she's had the wine packed for 3 months already :lol:

Lew and Diane are awefully kind to those Pennsylvania folks. :clapping:

Well, Diane is anyways Rich :lol:

And anyhow, you Pennsylvania folks are all kinda nice too.

Edited by lew

I live on the West Arm. As mentioned, water is on the high side for this time of year, weeds are down from normal and a bit lower than last year, which means basically no weeds yet but they should be started by the time you arrive...

I live on the West Arm. As mentioned, water is on the high side for this time of year, weeds are down from normal and a bit lower than last year, which means basically no weeds yet but they should be started by the time you arrive...

Thanks for the info, but that's not what I was hoping for. Normally by the end of June the cabbage is getting up close to the surface in many areas and last year it was waaay down from there.

Oh well, the West Arm is such a beautiful spot I could get skunked for the week but still honestly call it a fantastic fishing trip.

Muskies are still here and hungry, try rock structures and lots of shoals out there....

Oh yeah, there's always a back up plan. LOL

That purty 50 incher in my avatar came off a rock point near Muscrat.

The West Arm will be somewhat different than West Bay for fishing simply because the water is generally deeper here. I'm a walleye fisherman and don't target Musky but I used to in the 70's and early 80's in Georgian Bay, Ottawa River and the French. My Muskie tackle and some baits reflect that period and it was trolling mostly as we didn't have the reels of today for casting. Still, I get a lot of incidental fish when I go for pike or have pickerel chewed up pretty bad trying to get them away from a hungry Musky. The Top 50 pike tournament is tomorrow here and I'm in it, checked out some spots yesterday and formulated my attack plan, seem to get a Musky every second year or so during the tournament and am not happy when it happens because getting them in and released uses up time...

seem to get a Musky every second year or so during the tournament and am not happy when it happens because getting them in and released uses up time...

Funny, but I'm just the opposite.

Never target pike but can't keep the silly things away some days when I'm looking for a musky. It always amazes me how those little snot rockets will hit a bait darned near as big as themselves :lol:

022.jpg

Good luck on your tourney tomorrow.

Rich, As Frank Burns once said, "It's nice to be nice to the nice" :) West Arm Rider if you want to give up some of your pickerel haunches in the west arm to a broken down old man that can hardly see............ I'm your guy. :) Have a great day all.

Appreciate that bowslayer, we stay just a few miles south of lavigne

Hmmmmmmmm. I mayknow which point you are referring to. She's gotta be REAL BIG by now :angel:

Yup, you know EXACTLY where I'm taking about Rich, go get her !!

Maybe time to try the spot you and I scoped out last year Lew? At least for one day?

Yup, it's already set up John, Regan & I are heading up.

Just have to watch for that crazy detour we almost missed in the channel when the 4 of us took made the trip.

Edited by lew