Corn and spawning material?

xrap

I use corn alot when I go carping and am pretty success with it but most of the time I have to rebait the hook quite a bit. I was just wondering if making little spawning bags full of corn would work. Anyone ever try this?

i remember Cliff tried doing that in the beginning when he couldn't figure out what to do with the hair rig ... and he was quite successful with the catching as well ...

do you use a stopper at the end of the hair rig?

I've seen a few people do it. Mostly because of the gobies. Seems to work just fine. The people over in France also use the netting on their boilies too. Apparently they have a real problem with bullheads destroying their bait in the night.

That's an excellent question on the spawning bags similar to what you would do for salmon and trout. I have thought about it years ago but felt that the carp are so smart and can sense the bag being artificial they would promptly spit it out. The hair rig is quite effective. One of the other fellows will explain that.

Canned corn is also softer and you will lose it more frequently when directly on the hook but it is easier to put on. Maize on the other hand is too hard.

I use corn alot when I go carping and am pretty success with it but most of the time I have to rebait the hook quite a bit. I was just wondering if making little spawning bags full of corn would work. Anyone ever try this?

The first time I tried carp fishing I did use corn in roe bags...tied them about quarter size. It worked for us for exactly one night. LOL. That night there were literally hundreds of them in a pretty small area...and I think we were pretty lucky.

That being said I've seen a few guys catching them with just corn on their hooks, so attaching a spawning bag should work just as well....and make your bait last longer. I stopped using corn/roe bags on a hook because of all the pesky bullhead that would take it. Once I switched to boilies, I started getting them on a more regular basis....and again, once I added the spring feeder and ground bait mix, my percentages went up even further.

The spring feeders were around 2 bucks from the local tackle store and the ingredients for the mix cost me 12 dollars from Bulk Barn. I still haven't used up the original batch. Oh yeah...if you know how to snell a hook, you can tie your own hair rigs. I make the "pulled through" part longer so I can tie a loop for the rig.

Good luck!

if you're having problems with gobies, try going to hard kernal corn

i bought a 50lb sack for under $8 some people boil it, i've had success with it as is...

hair rig is your best friend when carp fishing, there is a reason the hard core carping guys use it

Oh yeah...because I like low cost fishing (yes, I'm a cheap dude....LOL), I dont buy that silicone tubing to secure the boilie in place. We have a bag of about ohh...a thousand elastic bands. I simply cut it so it's one long piece and then thread it thru and tie a knot...then trim the excess. Works great for me.

Edited by ccmtcanada