Ugly Ice Fishing Drone Footage

Not really ice fishing per se, but the remains of an ice fishing season in New Brunswick. It's quite a mess, really.

http://www.theweathernetwork.com/news/articles/drone-footage-exposes-trashy-truth-behind-ice-fishing-/50440/

Saw this earlier,looked like a hurricane came through.I can't believe there is that many irresponsible fisherman around !

Edited by davey buoy

So why are they all burnt? Do they just burn them when they cant get them off the ice in time? If that crap keeps up they wont allow huts out on the ice much longer..

So why are they all burnt? Do they just burn them when they cant get them off the ice in time? If that crap keeps up they wont allow huts out on the ice much longer..

Yes. It's been going on forever, but it's unlikely you'll see that nowadays in the more populated areas of Ontario.

Same thing happened to me on Simcoe about 1987 or so. I had a large ice shack off Big Bay Point and we got a thaw the second week or so of January. Ice travel was impossible by any means except maybe hovercraft and helicopter. The ice did not firm back up until weeks later, and when I could get back out to my shack, the TOP of the floor was more than a foot under the ice surface. It took two of us the better part of a day to wreck the shack and cut it out of the ice with a chain saw and pry bars/etc. We loaded the debris into a trailer and took it to a landfill site where I paid more good money to dump it.

I never owned another permanent shack............... :canadian:

The article says the anglers were trying to get their shacks off, but ice conditions had turned unstable. If Simcoe's ice had stayed rotten that year of which I spoke, there would have been no way I could have recovered an eight hundred pound shack. So yes, the mess shown in the video is shocking, but it is clearly NOT intentional.Doug Edited by akaShag