June 1st Nipissing Weekend

Bitsmith2k

im awaiting a bunch of pictures from a couple other people, but this is what i could get my hands on...

Friday June 1st marked our second annual trip to Lake Nipissing where we stay at Sandy Bay.. Two great years in a row, my hats off to Jeff and

his family for a well run operation.

We have a few rules for the fishing.. I have made a 'trophy' to be carried around by whomever has caught the biggest fish.. we also had t-shirts made up for the weekend, and no matter how dirty, or distgusting your provided weekend T-Shirt is, you had to be wearing it in order to qualify for the trophy..

This year we had a party of 10 heading up. I went up with the first group of four (the lucky guys that had the day booked off work).. We left Mississuaga at Noon, met the other car at BPS, grabbed some grub, next stop the Beer Store in South River, then onto Callander for some fishing!

I was looking forward to getting up there early and being in a boat with only two people, I knew that once everyone got up there the boats would be crowded...

Me and my buddy Jay grabbed one boat, my buddies Brian and Kent took another, and I knew in no time we'd be onto some fish..

So both boats head out to the spot where we had some success last year (it took a little longer to find it, our memory was not as good as we thought).. In no time Brian's got a nice 18"er slot fish on board his boat, and has taken possession of the Cup.. He got a pic and back in it went to make babies..

gallery_146_273_38676.jpg

Now Jay and I are getting excited, but still havent had a hit.. I tied on an x-rap to try and entice a pike that was crusing by to bite, but no luck.. Kent (on Brian's Boat) is pulling in dinky perch after dinky perch.. this is infuriating myself and Jay because on last years trip Kent caught only a single perch, and that was on the last day.. so we're thinking that we're getting skunked.. i decide to step it up a notch, and in verno & johnny bass fashion, i go skins.. almost immediately i'm rewarded from the fish gods with an eater!

(brian took the picture from a distance, and i firmly believe that the combination of my fatness and my pastey whiteness, blurred the shot)

gallery_146_273_60820.jpg

now big jay is starting to get nervous... and i'm not doing him any favours with my whitty banter with the other boat:

me: hey brian, how many you got?

brain: a few

me: hey kent, how man ya got?

kent: i gotta stringer of perch!

me: Jay, how 'bout you buddy?

jay: <silence>

From around the corner a boats coming and it's another two from our party, big fat stinky steve (yes he goes by that name), and sonny.. they've never fished the lake before, and i was amazed that they stumbled onto us.. it didnt take long before they were onto the fish as well.. and by 'they', i mean steve... right away he's got a couple keeper pics on the stringer..

when the friday fishing was all said and done, jay and i came in with this stringer:

gallery_146_273_165342.jpg

by the time we cleaned the fish and got the fry all sorted out, had a bunch of beers, then a bunch more, things got a little wacky.. kent couldnt handle the pace that we were setting.. the end result..

gallery_146_273_93885.jpg

During the bedlam that ensued that night we arranged the boats for the next day, 2 boats of three and one boat of four.. each boat was given a name, Team No Fish, Team George Micheal (due to one of the guys resembling George Michael), and finally my boat: Team Fat Slobs average weight of 277.5lbs, and we were the 4 person boat..

Saturday morning we got a late start, and didnt get any fish until around noon.. Sonny pulled in a couple nice pics, one in the slot, just short of Brians fish from Friday... so he's on the board.. me, jay and big fat stinky steve are riding a skunk.. around 5:30 we're running low on worms, and trying to decide whether or not to head in for more bait.. during the deliberations I nail a 17"er that went back in the drink, and we immediately head back in for worms.. took us about 45 mins to get back to the dock, get more worms and get back to the spot.. not bad for a boat of fat dudes..

here's Team Fat Slobs (Sonny, Myselft, Jay, and BFSS) after the saturday evening: (for a size reference, big fat stinky steve is on the right end, and he's 6'10" 350lbs..)

gallery_146_273_30597.jpg

Prior to us getting rediculously drunk, i made the cup presentation to Brian, as nobody has topped his fish from Friday..

gallery_146_273_20029.jpg

At some point in the shenanigans of saturday night, team fat slobs made the executive decison to be on the water for 5am on sunday.. dont know how we came about that choice, but somewhere in the time from the above photo and that decision the first keg of beer fell..

miraculously we were indeed on the water, very hung over (i possibly was still drunk).. sonny being the least hung over was commissioned to drive.. myself and jay were the only guys onboard to get fish.. a few pics and some nice jumbo perch.. i boated a 19"er and took possession of the trophy.. but here's the keepers from the morning..

gallery_146_273_173277.jpg

when it was all said and done, one guy out of the 10 got skunked on the weekend.. he was the guy talking the most trash before the trip too.. our network admin, coincidentally a member of Team No Fish..

gallery_146_273_92431.jpg

Edited by Bitsmith2k

LOL...this was an awesome report!! Loved the play by play commentary of who the cup holder was and the banter going back and forth!! Wow...thanks for the size comparison....6'10"?? Holy crap!!! I top the charts at 5'8" on a good day...pushing a huge 160 pounds...LOL

Great stuff...great pics...a great time. Thanks for the post and laughs as I eat my lunch here.

Great report man. I was wondering if you'd guys get any fishing in (knowing how those 'get the guys together' trips can be much more about the fun than the fishing). That pass out pic is just dang hilarious.

Our annual boys trip up north has just fallen from 6 to 4 guys now :angry: guess we'll have to pass on the keg and stick with bottles, maybe you should make the drive up to Thunder Bay to show us how its done :)

Great story. I was on the tail end of my trip up that weekend but i was on South Bay....kinda far away. I did however , see a Blue "Sandy Bay" boat around a few times over the weekend out at Buoy EC2. Kind of a haul it seems from Callander. Your weekend looked a bit wetter than mine (meaning beeeeeer lol)

Edited by Blaque

thanks guys.. was a great weekend..

Great report man. I was wondering if you'd guys get any fishing in (knowing how those 'get the guys together' trips can be much more about the fun than the fishing). That pass out pic is just dang hilarious.

Our annual boys trip up north has just fallen from 6 to 4 guys now :angry: guess we'll have to pass on the keg and stick with bottles, maybe you should make the drive up to Thunder Bay to show us how its done :)

hmm.. i'd make that trip :)

Great story. I was on the tail end of my trip up that weekend but i was on South Bay....kinda far away. I did however , see a Blue "Sandy Bay" boat around a few times over the weekend out at Buoy EC2. Kind of a haul it seems from Callander. Your weekend looked a bit wetter than mine (meaning beeeeeer lol)

two boats hit that bouy sunday morning and came up empty handed after a couple other groups had been talking it up.. it makes me feel good inside when someone besides me gets skunked..

Edited by Bitsmith2k