What are some good fish batter recipes?

fisher

I have been getting better at fileting fish lately but want to cap it off with a good batter.

What I do now is basically add some beer to flour and mix in some salt, pepper and garlic powder. Dip and fry. Doesn;t seem to come out that good. Any suggestions of a better tasting recipe - spicy and non-spicy?

No batter---try this--Cut fish into chunks about 1"x1"x 1/2" thick. Place in boiling h2o for 10 minutes. Dip in drawn butter or margerine. If you like lobster you'll like this... Called poor mans lobster. Best if you use old bay in h2o. JK

This one is one of the best I have tried...

3/4 cup of flour

1/4 cup of corn starch

2-TSP. Baking powder

2-TSP. SALT

1- cup of water

If you replace the water with 1 cup of flat beer it makes a nice difference. Also don"t put fish in oil until it reaches 375 degrees.

This batter is nice and crispy.

LARRY

3/4 cup of flour

1/4 cup of corn starch

2-TSP. Baking powder

2-TSP. SALT

1- cup of water

If you replace the water with 1 cup of flat beer it makes a nice difference. Also don"t put fish in oil until it reaches 375 degrees.

LARRY

That sounds original, the corn starch and baking powder is a new twist.

Granny_Jed.jpg

For a unique tasting batter, take your favorite flavour of potato chips, crush them up really fine, and there ya go!

Dip the fish in egg first, then roll in the chips.

All Dressed chips are an excellent choice!

3/4 cup of flour

1/4 cup of corn starch

2-TSP. Baking powder

2-TSP. SALT

1- cup of water

LARRY

Funny... I posted that recipe 5 years ago here on OFC.... under the link I provided above... I did not copy it from anyone.. it was strictly trial and error.

here is the link to the original... http://www.ontariofishing.net/fish-recipes...ittsbatter.html

Glad you like MY batter ThirstyStone. please feel free to give credit where credit is due as I put ALOT of work into it ;)

Gerritt.

Funny... I posted that recipe 5 years ago here on OFC.... under the link I provided above... I did not copy it from anyone.. it was strictly trial and error.

here is the link to the original... http://www.ontariofishing.net/fish-recipes...ittsbatter.html

Glad you like MY batter ThirstyStone. please feel free to give credit where credit is due as I put ALOT of work into it ;)

Gerritt.

Ah, ... the power of the Internet.

The steali... er sharing of information all over the world.

There are already some good sounding recipes here.

If your batter you are already making isn't tasting that good for you it might just be because you aren't seasoning the flour heavily enough, think lawry's or emerils seasoning salt. As stated you can make any flour batter "crisper" by adding some corn starch to the flour. One step you didn't mention was dipping the fish in flour first. You always have to dip the fish in flour first before adding any batter or dipping it in the egg/water mixture before rolling in the breading mix to allow the batter stick to the fish better.

If you want to cheat and make the batter faster just buy any "complete" pancake mix and just enough beer so that it is the right consistency, it is usually already seasoned enough. If you want to spice this one up to be hot just add some red hot pepper sauce so you have the right amount of tang for you.

For the recipe made with crushed up potato chips you can do the same type of preparation by crushing up your favorite type of cracker as well. Seasoned bretons are awesome but you have to watch so you don't burn them....

Edited by Canuck2fan

My batter is 1/3 flour , 1/3 bread crumbs , 1/3 cornmeal , onion salt , garlic salt and pepper.Throw it all in a bag.Take your fillet and dredge it in flour then in to some Franks Redhot then into the bag and into the frying pan.I save the beer to drink with the fish :thumbsup_anim:

Wes