Trolling Batteries - Questions?

hutch4113

Looks like I will need to replace both of my Deep Cycle batteries this season. I don't know much about them, so thought I would get thoughts/suggestions before I purchase. I believe they are 24V, but will have to check to verify.

When purchasing, do I need to stay at 24V or should I go higher? I am thinking of upgrading the trolling motor at some point - so not sure how big a role the batteries play in that.

Also interested in recommendations on where to purchase. I tried my Costco on the weekend, but they did not have any Marine Batteries.

Thanks in advance for the help.

To get 24v, you would most likely have 2 12v batteries wired in series.

The costco in PTBO usually has a good supply of deep cycles, but I get mine from kawartha battery for cheaper, and they are really nice people to deal with. If you bring your boat with you, they will even install them free of charge. They are magnacharge batteries, and work great for me, and the price is right. I think I paid $130 for a 31 series deep cycle there the last time I was in.

S.

Looks like I will need to replace both of my Deep Cycle batteries this season. I don't know much about them, so thought I would get thoughts/suggestions before I purchase. I believe they are 24V, but will have to check to verify.

When purchasing, do I need to stay at 24V or should I go higher? I am thinking of upgrading the trolling motor at some point - so not sure how big a role the batteries play in that.

Also interested in recommendations on where to purchase. I tried my Costco on the weekend, but they did not have any Marine Batteries.

Thanks in advance for the help.

The Costco in Markham had marine batteries in stock today. I would expect the other stores to have them soon.

I have had good luck with Walmart batteries.

Buy two 12 volt batteries for now. If you eventually get a 36 volt motor I would recommend three new batteries rather than mixing one new one with two old ones.

As other have mentioned, batteries are almost always 12 volts. You can get 12, 24, or 36 volts by connecting them in series.