Need new starting battery... I think?

Fisherpete

Charger.. what's a charger for a starting battery.. oh the motor! My boat batteries never come out... they get the charger slapped on them when I bring the boat out for the last time after Musky (and usually get a green light that they're fully charged). I hit them one more time in say February and then again before she hits the water any day now. All leaving a trickle charger on a battery day in day out does is sulphate it or boil it dry.

On board charger is for the electric trolling motor.. nothing else and if you're running older batteries you'd better keep a good eye on yours, as once they don't like coming up to full charge the on board won't shut off (green light) it will keep charging and boil them dry.

Edited by irishfield

If the on-board charger is a smart charger it should not boil them dry and if it does you might have defective on-board charging system. I have had mine for many years now and I have stated it extended my starting battery for 9 years plus maintained my batteries (3) ALL the time I'm not fishing and even during winter storage. I also don't remove them in the winter, too heavy to lift. I really believe this extends years onto your batteries and pays for itself in the long run.

I have this model but there are many other manufactures that have similar on-board chargers that should also maintain all your batteries making life much simpler after a long day on the water.

http://promariner.com/products/waterproof-on-board-marine-battery-chargers/prosport-series/

Edited by Mister G

Just came from Costco

Took a picture of their marine battery but don't know how to post a photo

Said

Starting/Deep Cycle

Marine RV

27DC

Figment code 14

845 Marine Cranking Amps

120 amp hours

Forgot to note price

Anybody know if this would work for a

115 Yammy 4str?

Just came from Costco

Took a picture of their marine battery but don't know how to post a photo

Said

Starting/Deep Cycle

Marine RV

27DC

Figment code 14

845 Marine Cranking Amps

120 amp hours

Forgot to note price

Anybody know if this would work for a

115 Yammy 4str?

Have two to run a 200 yam 2 stoke and all electronics on pretty big boat. Wash down lI've well 2 finders etc. Had one die because of a bad wiring setup and was using the switch in the wrong position. They start big engines fine. Costco is the best for return of you kill it too and 3 yr 100% warranty no questions return is sweet. Took me 2 back and got new ones since I made some mistakes with them. They are $119. Edited by Consigliere

Thanks for all the responses everyone.

My motor is a 30hp Honda, does not take much juice to start it. I took the boat out yesterday catfishing, and the motor started up fine all day and the fishfinder showed the voltage at the lowest was 11.9V.

My Honda does all the charging, I've popped my onboard charger on it from time to time and always had green light (full charge). It took a charge this spring after sitting all winter.

I'm going to replace it just to be safe, think I will take everyone's advice and go for the Costco battery. I have zero complaints about the Nautilus AGM - like I said, it's been flawless... But hey if the Costco will accomplish the same thing for less money why not.

Cheers

Pete

30hp easily get away with a true deep cycle 27 there usually only around the 220cca but run all day for electronics and such and had no issues starting a carbed v6 150 2 stroke. Wouldnt reccomend it for dfi systems.

but if your mostly trolling then it doesnt really matter if the honda is charging most of the time a dualpurpose will more than be adequate