Toyota Corolla 1,500 lbs towing!

sneak_e_pete

my old chevy lumina was 1,500lbs. but was a V6.

what is the corolla?

I'd guess the Corolla is an I4 under 2L. Never thought to check what my car's rating is, but I'd assume it's rated for at least that. Be carful though, it's tough on those little trannies

Towing capacity works off of a simple formula, 150 lb driver, half a tank of gas, anything over that both inside and on the trailer gets taken off the capacity. Also, just because it could does not mean that you should.

Remember; the 1,500 pounds includes the people and gear in the car as well.

No it doesn't. Towing weight capacities are stated based upon the assumption the vehicle is fully loaded (Gross vehicle weight, which includes passengers, fluids, etc). Think about it for a second, no manufacturer is going to tell you that you can tow 1,500lbs then in small writing say that you need to do some roadside math to actually figure out what you're allowed to tow. Imagine the lawsuits? lol.

The towing capacity for a truck or SUV is the maximum weight that you can pull with that vehicle. The capacity takes into consideration several factors, including the gross vehicle weight and the design of the vehicle in question. If you try to exceed recommended capacities, you put yourself in danger because the load you are towing affects braking and handling. You can also cause serious damage to the vehicle's drive train if you exceed the limits that the vehicle is capable of towing.

When you hear the term gross vehicle weight, this is the weight of a truck or SUV when it is fully loaded. "Fully loaded" means with all fluids topped off, any optional equipment installed on the vehicle and the combined weight of passengers and cargo in the vehicle at the limit as found on the vehicle's tire and loading information label. It is important that customers should never exceed the tire load limits by having a combined weight of passengers and cargo that exceeds the limit found on their vehicle's tire and loading information label.

http://www.gmc.com/trailering-towing/safe-trailer-towing-capacity.html

Edited by netminder

No it doesn't. Towing weight capacities are stated based upon the assumption the vehicle is fully loaded (Gross vehicle weight, which includes passengers, fluids, etc). Think about it for a second, no manufacturer is going to tell you that you can tow 1,500lbs then in small writing say that you need to do some roadside math to actually figure out what you're allowed to tow. Imagine the lawsuits? lol.

You are incorrect. Here it is clearly spelled out on GMC's web site.

"When you use the towing capacity chart, remember that the weights given are maximum values; you should never exceed them. For instance, the towing capacity of the GMC Sierra 1500 is 10,700 pounds. If the total passenger weight is 600 pounds and the load within the bed of the truck is an additional 500 pounds, then the maximum weight of the load on the trailer can never exceed 9,600 pounds, or you will be over the rated load limit."

http://www.gmc.com/trailering-towing/towing-specs-to-determine-towing-capacity.html

even pulling a under 2000lbbass boat with a seirra you know its make there especally when it comes to stopping, have ahard time imagining a corrolla stopping very well with its max load, see small cars all the time though pulling seadoos sleds and small boats, my old v6 tiburon had no issue towing around my snowmobile on a double wide trailer prob around a 1000lbs

take normal precautions and you'll be safe