simcoe ice fishing in the coming weeks

huzzsaba

How is the ice on Lake Simcoe with the recent return of the cold weather? The last time I went which was a month ago, it was 2 feet thick and getting thicker. Will it still be ice fishable for the next 2 weeks? How about driving on it?

Sorry its my first winter ever ice fishing, so not sure of how long it stays iced over for it to be safe.

Thanks

Edited by huzzsaba

I can't tell you how long it will remain safe for. That changes day by day, and things like pressure cracks and shoreline ice deteriorate quickly in warm temperatures so you need to be pretty careful there. I can tell you that I was out of Beaverton on an atv the other day, and drilled over 20 inches of ice. Their where a couple trucks driving out there also. I never needed to cross the first crack, so couldn't tell you conditions out there. Shore ice had frozen up solid again, but it was a bit broken and I can see it deteriorating quickly with warm temps. Last night at 4am, the temp on the work car read -5, so I think there will be a couple weeks left for the adventurous. That doesn't include me though, I packed up my gear and called it a good season. Other fish to fry now! Good luck and be careful.

Edited by porkpie

I hit Cooks Bay on Tuesday for a little while and the clear ice was around 24" and the surface was relatively smooth with no water. Perfect conditions for getting places at highway speeds on the ATV! The ice is definitely good for a bit and the only thing I would worry about is shore access.

I was out last Saturday off of Sibbald Pt. Ice was more than 24 inches but white except the bottom. Top was mushy but it was a warm morning & raining. There was a small 2wd car out where I was. Ice at boat ramp was good. Having said that there were lots of cracks. Would not recommend driving, not so much for going through but for getting stuck.

What most anglers don't take into consideration is when the creeks and rivers start flowing again into any lake that warmer water is starting to undermine ice conditions from the bottom up making ice that may look safe actually very dangerous. This is especially true near areas that have streams pumping that water into them but that warmer water does find it's way to many parts of any frozen lake. This is why the MNR insist that all ice huts are removed by March 15th.

If you ice fish now, be extremely careful. No fish is worth your life.