Outboard paint peeling

Took the covers off this past weekend and found a disappointing surprise, paint peeling on my outboard. It's a 97 Johnson 90hp, I've owned the boat 4 years now, winterize, cover and tarp, park under covered roof for the winter.

The boat has seen fair share of saltwater use, but none last year, and has always been properly rinsed after use, engine flushed, deck, engine and hulls scrubbed with soapy fresh water.

Always thought I did a good job maintaining it, not sure what caused the peeling, I'm assuming some sort of moisture issue being wrapped all winter...the paint only peeled on the side of the leg that was tilted down

Anyways, any tips for repainting? not my expertise but planning to do it on my own...so far it seems like I need to wire wheel, sand, wipe with acetone, prime and repaint

is this paint appropriate for the size of repair I need to do? I have a few air compressors, should I be looking into buying a spray gun?

http://shop.evinrude.com/product/659823/777171/_/Evinrude_-_White__1981-thru

paint%20peeling_zps4dkezcqx.jpg

Edited by bare foot wader

Hmm, kinda funny that the paint is only lifting on the lower motor shroud. Make sure the zinc anode(s) are removed once a year too and shined up. I think even 2 cans would be more than enough.

I replaced the anode when I first bought the boat used, so it has been a couple of years...I'll check that and possible fuel leak maybe

For that to happen after all these years would tell me something out of ordinary has happened since winterized. I would expect to see that degree of peeling if it was a new paint job and the primer coat was not cleaned before the paint went on. You didn't repaint it so it must be something else. If it was a gas leak I would think you would have smelled it and it must be a large leak.

In my non professional opinion there is an anode problem. Something I have never changed in the 6 years I have had the boat. On the to do list now.

What is a bit confusing is that the shaft portion has not peeled. Someone here may be able to tell us if the shaft portion is made of the same steel as below the cowling. I would think it would be the same steel, maybe not.

I would not use a wheel grinder as it will gouge into the metal even with the least abrasive. I redid my trailer a few years back and found if the wheel abrasive removed the paint it also gouged.

I would hand scrape the flaking paint off. And then start sanding by hand starting with a 100 grit and work up to 200. Clean the surface and clean it again after every sanding. 2 coats of the best spray primer available. Light sand and clean in between coats, clean like surgery is going to happen. I would give her 3 coats of finish with automotive paint, sanding and cleaning between each coat. Then 2 coats of automotive clear coat. Since I was doing the area below the cover I might as well do the shaft too.

I would talk to a few marine dealers before refinishing. I would want a definitive answer as to why this can happen after all these years, for sure.

This is only my opinion. I am very interested to know what a marine or auto refinisher says about it.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

It sounds like moeller zinc chromate primer is the way to go, and Johnson white top coat

I took out my trolling motor batteries but left the starting battery connected and in the boat...not sure if that would affect anything?

the other side of the outboard is completely fine, no cracks, no bubbling or flaking