Escape Fishing

NAW

My plans this weekend where to fish in a little derby out of Gilford on Saturday morning with my son. It was a free derby that a friend signed me up for through his work (Asco Numatics). But the weather network was calling for -25 wind chills, and that doesnt make for a fun time fishing and open hole with a 2.5 year old boy. So I cancelled my plans, and did some other fun stuff with the boy during the day.

Sunday morning, we woke up still with a fairly significant ice fishing itch. Alex was talking about fish, and getting bites, and wanting to go to the hut. But its a lot of work to get out to the hut right now. So I decided I would try for some Kempenfelt Herring instead. And to keep warm, I thought I would use the Escape for a hut.

We headed out from the Tiffen St launch, and set up in 25 of water.

It was still cold when we got there, so I turned the back of the Escape in to play pen, with the heat turned up. I punched a hole on either side of the truck, and hung a rod out each window. Plus a set line with bells about 20 away.

I could sit in the middle of the Escape, with a rod out each window and Jig while Alex played with his fire truck and tractor in front of me! We both had a blast, and I was marking tons of fish, but could set the hook because the tight spot in the truck window.

Once it warmed up, and the sun came out, we both went outside for some fresh air and a stretch. Once we were outside, and I could jig properly, we started getting some Herring action. Brought 2 home for the table.

This time around, I didnt throw fish back. Alex was a little taken back by this. But we went step by step through the catching, dispatching, cleaning, cooking and EATING the fish. And he was alright with it. He was a funny little guy actually; he made me laugh several times.

So I have now eaten Herring from Nip and Simcoe. And I noticed a difference in flavour as well as the colour of the meet. Simcoe seemed to be whiter meet, and less greasy comparted to Nip. Although, Simcoe herring are much smaller. I will say (IMO) that Simcoe herring taste much better. I quite enjoyed it actually. I wanted to get a real taste, so I fried it up in a little butter, with zero seasoning. Sam, Alex and I all enjoyed the flavour. I may actually target them a few times this year.

Here are some random shots from the day.

1425221795488_zpstultmuma.jpg

1425221772590_zpsl5xobt2k.jpg

DSC_0016_zpsr1uu7pay.jpg

DSC_0015_zpsoktv7unb.jpg

1425230822849_zpsyvqjr7rs.jpg

DSC_0017_zpsuiqsx0gb.jpg

Edited by N.A.W

Man that kid is getting bigger and bigger every time we see him. He is basically growing up before our eyes. Seen the movie "Boy Hood" yet?

What a great set up. I'm always leery when I hear about guys fishing out of a vehicle because of CO levels. But the car was well ventilated and the ice is thick enough for the exhaust and weight.

Yep, I was a little worried as well about the fumes and the back door open. But with the wind directions (which changed 3 times while I was out there), I just kept changing which doors/windows I had open. The back door was closed 90% of the time.

And there is about 24" of ice where I drilled, so no worries there! And zero slush!!!

Awesome Nick! Sounds like the little man is starting to figure out where his food comes from...you're doin it right! Interesting to hear about the Simcoe herring, because they can be downright nasty from Nip haha. I guess that's why the southern guys always disagreed with me haha

Lovin the snowsuit...

My 4 year old loves ice fishing... It's the only thing we can do with him where he never gets upset and cries...

He likes being in the "cabin" (my pop up hut)

He is the official perch releaser guy

He is also the official timbit distribution manager

Enjoy these times guys, they grow up fast!

What I mean by fast is, the next 20-25 years are going to slip by without you even realizing it.

I started fishing with my son at about the same age as yours Nick; I couldn't get out the door without this little shadow following. It was like that all the way through his local school years; oh the fights I had with the wife from pulling him out of school to go fishing.

Than University, an automotive engineering degree, a full time job and marriage, put a big dent in our fishing time together. We still get out whenever we can; but it's harder and harder the more he get established in his adult life.

So like I said, relish these times; because your son will never forget them; he'll just run out of time to always be there to go out with you.

It's kind of like the Harry Chapin's song "Cat's In The Cradle", in reverse?

http://music.famousfix.com/tpx_4883935/cats-in-the-cradle/

Dan.

Great report, replies and advice here...can't get enough of it. I have a 10 month old at home and can't wait to bring him along with me someday too. This is very encouraging! I like the tips and tricks you guys use to keep your little people interested and happy while fishing.

Lovin the snowsuit...

Godwill for $6 bucks! Vintage Oshkosh!

Enjoy these times guys, they grow up fast!

What I mean by fast is, the next 20-25 years are going to slip by without you even realizing it.

I started fishing with my son at about the same age as yours Nick; I couldn't get out the door without this little shadow following. It was like that all the way through his local school years; oh the fights I had with the wife from pulling him out of school to go fishing.

Than University, an automotive engineering degree, a full time job and marriage, put a big dent in our fishing time together. We still get out whenever we can; but it's harder and harder the more he get established in his adult life.

So like I said, relish these times; because your son will never forget them; he'll just run out of time to always be there to go out with you.

It's kind of like the Harry Chapin's song "Cat's In The Cradle", in reverse?

http://music.famousfix.com/tpx_4883935/cats-in-the-cradle/

Dan.

Sound advice, and a great tune!

Great report, replies and advice here...can't get enough of it. I have a 10 month old at home and can't wait to bring him along with me someday too. This is very encouraging! I like the tips and tricks you guys use to keep your little people interested and happy while fishing.

Soon enough, he will be joining you! Alex was born in sept 2012. So we didn't ice fish at all his first season. But I guess he was about 7 months old when spring trout opener rolled around, and that was his first time going fishing. He' been getting excited about it ever since.!

Here's a few pics from his first trip.

IMG_0058_zpsb16672f0.jpg

IMG_0066_zps5de32400.jpg

IMG_0070_zps83f998e2.jpg

IMG_0072_zpsa2381bdf.jpg

IMG_0073_zps36624c13.jpg

There's a few posts on here with some great tips on taking babies/kids fishing. If you do a little hunting, you should be able to find some.

I'm getting a little side tracked. Some of these replies are making me remember the fun times we've already had fishing!

Drive thru or drive by fishing with the kiddie = great plan.

Never tried herring. Ever. This may be the first post I've ever seen where somebody cooks one up.

Yep, you can't beat the ease of a drivethrough! if the conditions allow for it.

Ive noticed lots of guys now just targeting herring on kemp.

Edited by N.A.W

Yep! You just have to create the right situations to make it enjoyable by all. And interesting for the little guy. Their minds are easy to mould at this age! I'm definitely trying to sculpt this kid in to an outdoors man.

As I've mentioned before on this board, ice fishing is not for me. If I get a cold draft across my abdominal area it can set off a bad IBS attack, not the best thing to have when you're bundled up and away from a toilet.

But...

You've given me an idea. I get someone to modify my car so that I have a hatch in the passenger side floor. Drive out to a good spot, drill a hole, drop a line. Keeps me out of the wind, and right inside my transport if I need to make a quick sprint to the little boy's room. Dang, I'm a genius! :D