need a lil help with musky tackle...

manitoubass2

For the rod on big bucktails if you have the extra cash go for the sling blade or big nasty. Don't get anything shorter then 8'6" if your looking for a serious full time rod.

As for reels the Abu NACL 60 series is great and will stand up to the big musky up there. If you have crazy cash then the Tranx is awesome I have it on the big nasty and its great for big blades all day.

I had a Curado 300 EJ, which is the beefed up version of a Curado. Overall it was NOT a great muskie reel. Very weak drag does not allow for effective hooksets. Higher gearing is not ideal for hard pulling baits. You will burn yourself (and the reel) out fast trying to reel in blades with a Curado.

Read the other current post on muskie rods and reels - there is a ton of discussion about muskie reels there. If I was just to have one reel, as Lew said it would be a round Shimano. Whether it be a B, D or TE series, so long as it is in the 400 size.

What is your budget?

As for tackle, I just finished texting another budding muskie fisherman a list of lures - he said he wanted to start with 8, and what would I suggest. This was my list:

1) Twin ten - natural colour

2) Twin ten - bright colour

3) 9' Grandma or similar crankbait

4) Muskie sized spinnerbait (M&G, Northland Booty Call or similar)

5) Top raider or similar

6) Suick or Sledge or similar

7) Shallow Invader crankbait

8) Hellhound or similar glide bait

There is no true deep diving lure on that list, but for LOTW I don't even use them. I would add a big plastic or two (Bulldawg, Titan tube) to that list, but to throw them you might need a different rod.

Hope this helps

Pete

Budget is about $2000

For rods baits and reel. I may wait on some baits and order blades from mike.

Just depends on what I find

And lew i prefer lefty but righties are fine too.

I just prefer to hookset with my right arm, feels more natural

Edited by manitoubass2

I may wait on some baits and order blades from mike.

Before ordering baits I'd check with the locals and see what colors work where your gonna be fishing. Musky baits can be crazy expensive and no sense buying what doesn't work for a particular area. Get an idea then contact Mike and he'll set you up.

PS... orange blades on a BIG black skirt will boat you a biggun anywhere ;)

Edited by lew

I don't know Rick, are you sure you want to spend that much before you've tried it?

You could use your pike outfit and buy a few new baits, try it out and see if it's your cup of tea.

oh yeah, I have a 20 year old Curado, lots of hours burning big buck tails, it's still fine and did not burn out

for what it's worth 80% of the time I am casting in the summer I'm either throwing a bootail of some sort or a jerkbait like a suick/wades wabbler. this is fishing shield water like you'll encounter on LOTW. i used to be a lure junky but have found that KISS (keep it simple stupid) applies to me and muskie fishing best. i've found (for me a least) it's better to learn to work a small number of select lures really well and when/where to use them than it is to have a boatload of lures and my catching has increased.

if someone asked me what are the first lures they should buy I would tell them a bootail, a 9-10" jerkbait, a topraider and a 10" jake.

never fished LOTW but from what I've read and heard, the top water bite can be pretty hot up there so I'd invest in a topraider. Any colour is good as long as its black.

Edited by Raf

I used to have every lure in every colour possible - but have really downsized in the last two seasons. as Raf said, not necessary. A few proven performers, used properly will catch you plenty of fish. I do have a good selection of blades however, but they vary in weight and blade size as well as colour. Casting in heavy weeds and rocks - lighter. Deeper structure - heavier.

Gord Pyzer just did a awesome seminar at musky Sunday on lotw it was great and very educational for anyone fishing that area. He talked about the different parts of the lake and how they all break down. The colour choices for each area this was a must see for guys fishing that area.

Rick,have you ever been to Bobby's tackle shop in Vermilion Bay?

Lots of muskie stuff!

Yeah I was just there a few months back. He orders in some grubs for me.

and chris I said I had $2000, lol doesnt mean thats what id spend haha.

so figure 8 is indeed shut down?

canadian tire sucked. Id rather wait and get proper gear.

so all in all i walked away with a musky hunter magazine, pretty dissapointing but I got lots of time yet.

i talked abit to mike and told him my go too for big pike always involves black lol.

so im happy to hear a few seasoned musky guys say black

Gord Pyzer just did a awesome seminar at musky Sunday on lotw it was great and very educational for anyone fishing that area. He talked about the different parts of the lake and how they all break down. The colour choices for each area this was a must see for guys fishing that area.

Gord is the man! I read everything i can from him. We chat once in awhile on facecrack about rainy river. Doods awesome!

If i ever get the chance to attend his seminars ill be there as quick as possible!

dick pearson is another name you should pay attention to, NWO & muskies are his thing. not sure how many seminars he does these days but he has a book & dvd (muskies on the shield) that is a worthwhile read and watch

The Toro NaCl 51 or 61(both leftys) is a very nice reel. Versatile gear ratio and not too big to handle. Also has a bait clicker and could double as a trolling reel once in a while. Looks sharp too.

St Croix legend tournament 8'6 sling blade is a great one to start with if you're just after 1 rod for now.

Could always order from pro tackle in Belleville believe they have free shipping if you can't find a deal locally.

Edited by Spooled

Having a basement full of lures, if I had to start again I would get....

1. An okuma musky rod, heavy action in the 7' 4", 7' 6" or 8' length. All just a little over $100.00. I have the 7' 4" that I use for jerkbaits. It's a little stiff for smaller bucktails, but it will work for pretty much anything, including smaller bulldawgs. I would avoid a 9' rod for a first rod.

2. Abu Garcia Revo NaCl Toro, the 50 size. Great all purpose reel if you can afford it. Other reels I use and like are the Curado 300 and the Okuma Citrix. The Okuma Komodo also looks good.

3. 9 inch weighted firetiger suick. A great jerkbait.

4. Salmo skinner 20 in real roach color. A great crankbait.

5. A couple single bladed bucktails like a Mepps Giant Killer, a Mepps Musky marabou, Mepps Magnum or a Windells Harasser. I still prefer my single bladed bucktails. Maybe a double 8 or double 9 bucktail or two. Silver and black, orange and black, chartreuse and black are good colors. Yellow has been good to me as well. I personally don't enjoy throwing double tens, so I might be missing out on some fish, but that's the way it is for me. It might be different if I had a reel like the Tranx, but I don't. I would talk to someone who fishes the area about double tens. They would tell you if they are a must have bait or not.

6. A topraider.

7. A regular black and orange bulldawg or Super D.

8. A large spinnerbait or two. Orange and black and something else. Northland Bionic bucktail spinnerbaits are fairly economical and they work.

From there you can figure out what lures you like fishing best and then add to your collection. I personally can throw rise and dive jerkbaits all day, so I have lots of sledges, suicks, wades wobblers, bobbies etc. Yet I can't catch fish on a glider like a hellhound or a phantom. It doesn't make sense, but that's the way it is. It makes no sense to get too many of one lure type until you've spent some time on the water.

Spend the rest of your money on 80-100 lb moss green braid, leaders, tools, gloves and a nice net. That's my two cents worth. Andy

Edited by Andy

Double tens are extremely popular in the area. One of the reasons I bought my Revo Toro Winch is because you can throw double tens all day long and reeling them in not tiring at all. That is what the winch was designed for - reeling in big lures that generate a lot of resistance.

I personally don't enjoy throwing double tens, so I might be missing out on some fish, but that's the way it is for me. It might be different if I had a reel like the Tranx, but I don't. I would talk to someone who fishes the area about double tens. They would tell you if they are a must have bait or not.

If you have a good budget, like you seem to have, do not cheap out on the rod, especially if you will be casting 10's all day long, and doing an 8 at the end of each cast. For that reason I would recommend the big nasty. This rod is the best bucktail and figure 8 rod in my opinion. The stiff tip especially makes doing 8's easier, especially at the end of the day. I also feel like you get a better and quicker hookset with the big nasty, something that is essential when hooking fish boat side. For a lefty the revo winch is the best bucktail reel IMHO, and can be used for other lures as well. If I could only have one combo it would be a winch on a big nasty.

As far as tackle goes I would get some double tens, a topraider, a side to side topwater, and a shallow invader in the regular and mag size, and a dive and rise bait like a suick.

From what I have heard, the eastern part of LOTW has much clearer water, and lower density of fish. I would also echo that you should hire a guide, but for multiple days, in quicken the learning curve. I think with a guide booking booking mulitple days in a row makes them more familiar with you, and more likely for you to pick up on how they pattern fish, so that you can use the information yourself.

From my experience fishing on LOTW and fishing musky in general, I can say without a doubt that you will be missing fish if you are not throwing a double ten. They are especially key for performing the figure 8, and for going back on fish that you have seen previously. That does not mean that you will not be able to catch fish on other baits, I have hooked fish on LOTW on cranks, jerks and rubber, but if you want your best chance to catch fish in almost any musky lake, you should be casting a double 10.

Edited by Roaring Dan Seavey

I have a few revo toro's 61 (lefty) and have been pretty happy with them. I have had to get them serviced at least every 2 years but I use them quite a bit.

I recently bought a Calcutta 401D which is also a lefty reel and have to say I enjoy using it more than the toro's. The toros are low profile so they are a bit more comfortable but the Calcutta is much smoother and overall performs better in my opinion. I recently bought another 401D I liked it so much

I also have a okuma komodo which they make with a high gear ratio. I use this on my jerkbait/topwater rod and really enjoy it. Its also a low profile reel and much cheaper than the above options. I prefer this reel over the daiwa lexa 400 and they are similar priced.

as for rods I would stick with the st Croix legends or the NEW shimano compres if you want to save a few bucks. I say new because the old ones are heavy as hell but I have used the new ones and they weren't bad.

also I once stayed in the clear water on lake of the woods with fisherpete......we drove 30 miles one way to get the hell out of that area each day....needless to say we have never been back to the clear water.

Edited by Lunkerhunter

I dont fish clearwater at all. Nice area to camp thats about it.

I have one spot I cant wait to try, ive marked tons of musky while walleye fishing. Its of an island, its breaks into a point. One side is 7-9fow and rock, has a nice eddie, then drops to 20fow with some nice weeds. Does that sound good to the musky guys???

Im going to ponder the rods and reels, i might go with two each and order them online.

Wait for most my baits when the shop in nestor opens, and order some from mike as well.

Ill wait until the shop opens for my net, cutters and terminal tackle.

Feel free to keep up the suggestions. Gives me some studying material for those boring days im not out sledding or fishing lol.

Im for sure going out with a guide at least two days. I hear a good local reasonably close to me is chuck leach. Anyone heard anything? I think hes arou d northwest angle but im not sure

I should also clarify im located on the south east side. Water is not very clear.

Anyone with navionics see if you can find brule point or brule island. That will give you an idea of where i launch, at morson

Edited by manitoubass2