need a lil help with musky tackle...

manitoubass2

Well im stuck in kenora for the next few days so I plan on going all out to get rigged with musky gear(since im now living earshot to LOTWs).

Im a complete rookie, only have a few incidentals under my belt, lol, nothing over 27".

Fire away pros, the shops here are loaded.

I need basically everything, help me with a checklist of what to look for the next few days

Miigwitch(thank you)

Rick

Yep ill let ya know for sure.

I know there is one small shop near the bus depot but its hardly a tackle shop.

Also canadian tire here is stocked well with musky gear.

Ill keep ya updated as i drive around and hit up shops.

I know there is good ones in nestor falls and souix narrows as well(south of kenora on the way to emo or fort frances)

Lotw is everyone's destination goal I also heard that Ryan closed shop it was from one of his close friends I heard it from plus he would shut it down for the winter months and go home to Winnipeg.

I have never fished it but have many customers that do alot and their bait of choice is inline bucktails. They all seem to do best on them but use jerk bait or glide baits to find musky or top water baits like the top raider.

If you need flashabou I can help out and you will save alot over the prices up there even when you add in the shipping.

Have a great time up north

M2B2, I used a Shimano Curado on my fall Musky trip. I'm not a level wind guy and I didn't get 1 backlash, not a one. If it's in your budget go for 1. Take a look at Mike P's website on the above post. He is getting a great reputation across North America. Thank goodeness there aren't any Musky waters nearby me otherwise I'd be living in a tent and have the house full of Musky stuff. Good luck. What's good luck in your language?

That musky that I'm holding Rick was caught using a 6" perch by Live Target. Grab a lure for every depth. One that goes just under the surface. Another 5-10 feet and another that can get down 15 plus feet. Trolling is the key. That's just my two cents, but there's guys on here a lot better then I am at musky fishing.

Trolling is the key.

If your not doing a lot of casting in shallower water around structure your gonna be missing a HUGE amount of big fish.

Trolling is good but there's many many big fish taken while casting.

Mix it up and find what's working.

Mike P's (HandleBarz) are certainly popular, and very effective within the muskies range, but from MCI members who fish LOTW, they are even more effective within that body of water, they are tough as nails, and start up is fantastic, and you dont waste half the cast waiting for the blades to start turning, always figure eight on LOTW as on average 7 of 10 fish come on it

Trolling is great in the fall, but you could catch a lot of fish on LOTW by throwing bucktails. I echo the sentiment to contact Mike P. He'll hook you up with a bunch of buctails at a fraction of the retail cost. LOTW is also a huge lake, which differs greatly depending on the area of the lake that you are fishing, and density of musky changing as well. However, no matter the part of LOTW you will find really big musky.

Edited by Roaring Dan Seavey

Mike has already extended his hand(of course).

So my main goal now is rod and reel. Im a lefty so im probably gonna lean towards the curado if i can find any. Is it the 301e everyone raves about?

Ill be casting more then trolling. Thats how i like to fish walleye/bass/pike.

I did just move closer to LOTWs but ive fished it a million times, but almost all that is on the east side, been a few times north. But ill mainly stick to the east side and spend the next 5 years learning it for musky instead of walleye lol.

Seems figure 8 baits may be closed. But ill double check around 4. Phone is outta service but who knows?

Slim pickens here, seems most in the area order online or buy at canadian tire, which does have a good selection here.

When fishing on a lake that could produce a big musky I always say be careful what you wish for cause it could come true. I almost fell out of the boat the first time a big musky followed my lure up to the boat lol. No joking. Knees buckled and almost in I went. You will get a big one on the side of your boat. Good luck.

M2B2, I used a Shimano Curado on my fall Musky trip. I'm not a level wind guy and I didn't get 1 backlash, not a one. If it's in your budget go for 1. Take a look at Mike P's website on the above post. He is getting a great reputation across North America. Thank goodeness there aren't any Musky waters nearby me otherwise I'd be living in a tent and have the house full of Musky stuff. Good luck. What's good luck in your language?

In my language? Good luck???

in ojibwe, zhawendaagoziwin

Edited by manitoubass2

I'd move up to one on the Shimano round reels, maybe a Calcutta B 400 series but that's just me. You may just tie into a huge fish on LOTW and I wouldn't want to chance it with a Curado, even though their a decent reel.

Shimano reel and a St Croix Premier or Legend rod, 7ft+ in Med Hvy action to toss bucktails. And a 7ft or less in hvy or x/hvy to toss glide baits and jerk baits. Then a nice Shimano Tekota on a 8ft glass trolling rod. All spooled with 80lb minimum braided line. Some floro leaders and a hard wire steel leader for jerks and gliders. A few bucktails, a couple Suicks, Hellhound, Top Raiders, the list goes on and on. LOTW is my all time favourite body of water. Musky, pike, walleye, bass..... + the most beautiful scenery.