algonquin campground recommendations

huzzsaba

Looking to see if anyone has camped at Algonquin Provincial Parks and have any recommendations on any particular campground. Looking for campground with well spaced and large sites, as well as decent fishing.

I was thinking either Canisbay lake, or Pog Lake but I am open to other recommendations. Also hydro is a must.

Thanks! You guys are always very helpful!

Thanks for the reply. Just checked brent and kiosk and non have hydro. Unfortunately it is a must with the family. Now if a bunch of my friends were to go, then that would be a great choice but all my friends have campophobia if that makes sense lol!

Edited by huzzsaba

Canisbay is a nice park for car camping. Sites are good size and good privacy - for the highway 60 corridor. There are no pet/no radio zones so be sure you book the right site. I once caught a nice lake trout on Canisbay and there are smallmouth in there too.

If you have a boat with <20 hp you can fish in Tea Lake (launch off the beach). I have had some really great smallmouth fishing on Tea Lake - there are 5+ pound hawgs in there if you can find them.

Have fun!

Achray on the east side of the park is a truly beautiful campground and very close to the Barron Canyon which is pretty spectacular. But there's no electricty.

Personally I would never camp at any of the busy campgrounds along the hwy 60 corridor, no way you're going to have a true Algonquin experience. You'd be better off finding another park that's perhaps a little quieter if electricity is that important.

I'd recommend Restoulle as a great option with electricity.

http://www.ontarioparks.com/park/restoule

Achray on the east side of the park is a truly beautiful campground and very close to the Barron Canyon which is pretty spectacular. But there's no electricty.

Personally I would never camp at any of the busy campgrounds along the hwy 60 corridor, no way you're going to have a true Algonquin experience. You'd be better off finding another park that's perhaps a little quieter if electricity is that important.

I'd recommend Restoulle as a great option with electricity.

http://www.ontarioparks.com/park/restoule

Mike is 100 % correct on this, Algonquin for car camping would not be a good expererience for the park. I would go to Restole to car camp over Algonquin any day. Now backcountry is a whole different ball game.

We have camped without hydro, but prefer hydro because we stay in tents, on really hot days, we use a fan and on colder nights, we use the heater. Its mainly to keep the family happy since they love the outdoors, but are not the type to rough it out. And so long as I want to go camping in the future, I have to keep them comfortable :D

Edited by huzzsaba

Quick question, if I were to take a full charged car battery, obviously a spare one and just use that to light a bulb (9 watt bulb) for around 3-4 hours a night, how long would the battery last? this is one option that would help me choose a non hydro campsite during the hotter summer months when I can sacrifice the use of a fan.

colder nights, we use the heater.

It's been a few years since we stayed in tents, but when hydro was available I used it too.

Cold rainy miserable days it sure was nice to have that little electric heater going to keep everything nice and warm & dry and I'm sure as heck not embarrassed to admit that.

Quick question, if I were to take a full charged car battery, obviously a spare one and just use that to light a bulb (9 watt bulb) for around 3-4 hours a night, how long would the battery last? this is one option that would help me choose a non hydro campsite during the hotter summer months when I can sacrifice the use of a fan.

If all you need the battery for is light you might consider using a lantern. They also make battery powered fans as well you know, technology is an amazing thing. :)

If all you need the battery for is light you might consider using a lantern. They also make battery powered fans as well you know, technology is an amazing thing. :)

+1 to this at Canadian tire, the dollar store they sell all sorts of LED lights, that's what we use when we go non electric. Batteries haven't been changed yet and they're going on the third season come this Screenshot_2015-02-21-15-29-25.png[/url[url=http://s246.photobucket.com/user/leaf4IF/media/Cute-UFO-Portable-Round-Camping-48-LED-Night-CAMP-Light-Lamp-48-LED-Lantern-Camp-Camping.jpg.html]Cute-UFO-Portable-Round-Camping-48-LED-N Edited by Lucas F

do you want fishing right at the campground ? if not, I like Mew Lake. too close to the highway for many but it doesn't bother me and there are a plethora of hiking trails nearby. bike to walk to Lake of Two Rivers for ice cream, burgers etc...

I would avoid rock as the ratio of quiet campers to noisy campers is not good.

• 3 months later...

sorry for the later reply. I agree with the post to avoid the 60 corridor because all the campgrounds are very busy. Achray is a great choice. lot's of good canoeing, hiking and short portages into other lakes. Cedar lake is nice too but can be tough to get across Cedar Lake if a west wind comes up if you just have a canoe. The fishing is better at Cedar lake than Grand Lake (Achray). No showers at either so you need your own, or a solar bag or the lake plus biodegradable soap.- DZ

If you're going all the way over to the east side of Algonquin I'd consider going to Driftwood Provincial Park on the Ottawa River. It has electrical sights and a beach. Hiking trails, showers, and large sites. Fishing on the Ottawa is decent for bass, walleye, and pike. Beautiful view of the Laurentian Mountains right across the river.

What time of year are you considering as bugs will be an issue in some campgrounds for kids?

Dan O.

Thanks for the late replies! Anything helps since I haven't gone yet. I will probably end up going in August so hopefully the mosquitos will be less then. I will look into Driftwood PP and the others mentioned here. If all else fails, I think I will stay at Canisbay Lake.