Fishing Report - Crotch Lake

MrSimon

You guys seemed to like the pics from my last report, so I dug up some from a trip a few years back.

We went to Crotch Lake, which isn't too far from where a lot of you guys live.

It's widely considered to be "fished out". Well, it's not if you like smallmouth bass!! I do admit that the pike and walleye were few and far between. They certainly are still there in fishable numbers, but I wouldn't really recommend Crotch if you only want pike and walleye.

With that said, it's a stunningly beautiful lake! Very few private cabins and only two lodges. It feels a lot more remote than it is. Also, there are lots of FANTASTIC campsites and shore lunch spots spread out around the lake. It's a decent size lake with great rocky structure and plenty of bays, nooks and crannies to explore.

We enjoyed ourselves and would go back for the scenery and peacefulness alone. Especially since it's about half the distance of NWO.

IMG_0586.JPG

IMG_0611.JPG

IMG_0630.JPG

IMG_0647.JPG

IMG_0662.JPG

IMG_0671.JPG

IMG_0674.JPG

IMG_0675.JPG

IMG_0692.JPG

IMG_0706.JPG

IMG_0708.JPG

IMG_0709.JPG

IMG_0714.JPG

IMG_0732.JPG

IMG_0740.JPG

DSC_0039.JPG

DSC_0085.JPG

DSC_0115.JPG

DSC_0145.JPG

DSC_0167.JPG

IMG_1408.JPG

DSC_0093.JPG

Theres a lake I have not heard of in a long long time. My late aunt and uncle had a real nice rustic cabin on the Mississippi. They also had a boat docked up on that lake. The only time it was fished by them was at night. I can remember my pop and uncle leave at 9pm and not be back til 2-3 in the morn. Always a full stringer of pickerel.

I remember the first time I got to go. It was dark but the full moon was full. Lite the lake like it was daylight. There were no rod holders, we all hung onto them for the next bite. Water like glass, and just the sound of the motor and the yelp of , GOT ONE.

Some nights I would head out on the miss and get cat fish in the rice beds. That was a trick and a half grabbing them with no light on board, but you learned fast how to step on their heads and slide your hand along their backs.

Thanks for the post and bringing back some great memories for me.

• 1 year later...

You need to know how to fish Crotch Lake. It actually has fantastic Walleye and Northern Pike fishing.

Crotch Lake is totally inundated with Smallmouth Bass. In the last 10 years the Largemouth Bass population has grown by 100X,

In early spring and fall the Walleyes are right close to shore. You just need to troll along the shore until you find them and then star casting or keep trolling. On Crotch Lake there are so many bass that are eating everything and pushing the Walleyes deeper so they can find food. By late spring the Walleyes move out to the rocky points, shoals and sunken reefs and then stay down 20 to 30 feet. They are in concentrated schools so once you find them you will catch a mess of them.

At dusk all the big trophy Walleyes come to shore in the 3 to foot range and will feed all night but that first two hours after dark are the best. Just troll along the shore with Perch Coloured or silver-&-blue coloured J-9 or J-11 Jointed Rapalas. Thundersticks also work.

With Northern Pike it's different. Crotch Lake has whitefish, which is a pike's favourite food. By late spring many of the big trophy pike will hand around sunken reefs and plateaus in the 15 to 20 foot range where they stage before going deep on Whitefish raids. You need to get them while they are on the reefs and still hungry.

If you go to Land 0' Lakes Lodge's website; read their fishing pages and their fishing tips pages and you will get a really clear picture of how to fish that lake. www.land-0-lakes-lodge.com

Gary

landolakes.jpg