android box or roku 3 box

I prefer my Android box, others Apple, others Roku, western digital, sling or other brands.

They all work....

It's all a matter of preference....

Be careful before you cancel rogers to make sure you can handle the limitations of a streaming device... ( live events, local news etc)

Perhaps you can downgrade to basic service for these essentials

Feel free to ask away here, lots will offer advice.

G

these boxes are far from a cable/satellite replacement...I'd suggest you keep your cable until you see how these things work.

I'd suggest putting XBMC onto a laptop or PC to get a feel before you buy a box

I have had my box for 6-7 months now and I still have a basic cable pkg. because the wife likes the nice cable interface and everything at the push of a button and because she has no patience for dead feeds or links!

For me to get rid of cable I would have to get rid of the wife... :lol:

Edited by lookinforwalleye

I have Roku 2 and 3. Never tried android. They are very good and good customer service. If you pair them up with a dedicated desktop server they are certainly better than cable in terms of content and convenience. If you are willing to pay a bit sports are available to stream in HD. Non HD sports is a one time fee of 60. I've been no cable for a year and will never go back. I have way better content for a fraction of the price.

I think 206 is dead on.

I am a old computer geek and hate the crazy cable bills but as lookinforwalleye said "The wife hates the gadgets".

I have a home server with around 4T of HD movies/music etc. I have a slingbox and wdtv on each TV. I tried a android box but it drove me crazy and the wife flipped. We watch live TV maybe twice a week and if there were dead links and disconnections during a non-hd movie well.... I have xbmc on my tablets and laptops but don't use it very much.

New smart TVs are able to handle most Movie formats and have NETFLIX and slingbox capabilities built in, eliminating the need for a wdtv or roku. X265 is around the corner anyways 8).

With 2 teenage kids I pay for unlimited home internet and it gets used (over 250G monthly). I think the TV's have been replaced by ipads and other tablets in out home.

We also reserve bluray movies from the library for movies missed etc.

There was a lengthy discussion on the exact same thing last year, Fall maybe. I learned much during that thread discussion. I do not have enough band width for anything that is out there. What I do remember most is the complaints from the folks that do have the systems that live sporting events are hit and miss streaming.

If you don't like your current provider for anything from Sat internet and TV to propane call and tell them you are considering switching. I told Bell to come and get their rental HD box and they met Shaws Sat. TV rates plus a few other upgrades I didn't have. I am saving $40.00 per month now and they have given me channels we didn't have before. "Ask and thou shalt receive" I remember reading that somewhere.