Independent Fishing Stores

LostAnotherOne

Mr. G,

You can't go wrong with service like that. I don't think there is a Cabela's within 2 hours of us. I'm not sure what big box was opened recently in Niagara? That would be under 2 hours. I sure would deal with a store like that if I had to but will still go out of my way to go to a local Mom an Pop. That is if they don't treat me like crap, as did the lady at a tackle shop on the Grand River just south of Hamilton off Argyll St., I won't mention the town, starts with a C and ends with an A. I will quit fishing before I ever give them my money again. I bought a down rigger rod and reel combo and while spooling it the very next day realized the reel was FUBAR. She told be less than 24 hours after I bought it from her that I had to deal with Okuma. Okuma was amazed she didn't take it back right there and then. And that was shortly after dropping $300.00 on a inflatable PFD and a load of tackle. I know of at least 12 pals that will not go there because of this incident. It has cost them many $$$ just from my crew in sales because she didn't hand me the other combo sitting in the rack that was identical. I ran into her husband shortly after that in town and told him, I think if he wasn't married to her he would have canned her. He said I should have seen him first, too bad this ain't baseball, 1 strike your out. Maybe if he offered me something for my troubles but didn't. News travels fast in small towns, all I had to do was tell the town Barber or Mailman.

Come on man, or lady. Never again ever.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

Yes Mr. G, Okuma came through for me. But it wasn't nessecary and Okuma was very apologetic, they had me go to Sail in Burlington that exchanged it with the OK from the Okuma rep. Actually the rod was of a better quality to boot. That was good of Sail as well, they had zero obligation to do so, a favour to the local Okuma rep they said. I go to Sail now when out that way, just a huge selection where I don't have to wait for Bills to order an item for me. A place like Bill's just can't be expected to have everything stocked like the big box guy.

FUBAR is a saying coined by US and Canadian servicemen during WW2 to easily describe a very bad situation. screwed up beyond all recognition.

edit: Auto correct uses screwed instead of another 4 letter word that I did not type, just the letter F followed by 'd. There computer try and auto correct that, I dare you.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

Regardless we should always support our local guys, it's tough to make a living for any small Mom and Pop business.

I like to support our local guy. I have even told him straight up,I,ll spend an extra buck or two on items then give to CTC or wally worls or Cabels.. No issues there for me. But the big ticket items he has now,I wont. I wont get into details,but when I can save 40-60 bucks else where,well thats not a few dollars is it. I have even told him that. Not sure of his thinking,but it,s his store right.

I like to support our local guy. I have even told him straight up,I,ll spend an extra buck or two on items then give to CTC or wally worls or Cabels.. No issues there for me. But the big ticket items he has now,I wont. I wont get into details,but when I can save 40-60 bucks else where,well thats not a few dollars is it. I have even told him that. Not sure of his thinking,but it,s his store right.

His wholesale cost will be nowheres near as low as a Basspro or Cabelas. Their cost is based on a purchase volume of thousands of units per order. Pretty hard for a small store to order in 5-600 marcums or 1000 Okuma rods or 1000 Shimano reels.

Funny thing is that the big box buying discount is often rarely carried over to the consumer except for a sale event.