Eskimo Quickfish 3i Review

mike rousseau

Good day everyone....

So I've used my new Eskimo Quickfish 3i 3 man insulated pop up hut a handfull of times in a handfull of different conditions... This hut is 70"x70" and right around 6.5 feet tall dead center... At Canadian Tire it was regular $499 on sale for $299...

Cons....

The hut when packed up is pretty big... This is mostly due to the thicker insulated fabric.... Not much of a con because it was expected with an insulated hut...

Pros...

I bought this as a 2 man and there's plenty of room.... If your super organized you could probably squeeze 4 in there... But 2 is nice and roomy....

Sets up fast and packs into the oversized bag really well...

Very dark inside... But has 4 windows if you want light... Can also open the clear plastic on the window if you want...

2 air vents up high that can be closed or opened...

Nice heavy zippers on the doors... They were really tight on the first use but after we "broke in" the hut the zippers are smooth as can be...

Came with 6 pegs... Great pegs... 4 for 4 corners and 2 extra to peg out the wind blown walls... For this I added a set of straps from Canadian tire instead if the piece of string they provide... Also learnt today if it's super cold pour a little water where your screwing your pegs in... Helped a LOT...

The insulated material holds heat very well... That being said the hut is pretty tall... And heat rises... I added a small tent fan from Canadian Tire and was amazed at the difference it made moving the heat evenly around the hut... We were out this morning... -26 at the start of the day... I use a portable buddy heater (9,000btu).... With this heater and the small fan we were plenty warm... No gloves... No hats... No jackets....

Overall I couldn't be happier unless someone else was setting up my hut for me... Lol

Hope this helps anyone looking at buying a pop up...

Feel free to ask any questions

Thanks

Mike

I have the same hut Mike, but the non-insulated one. Same feeling here, been pretty happy with it. You mentioned pouring water when screwing in the anchors - does this make it easier to screw in or is there some other advantage?

It seamed so soften the ice a bit allowing the ice anchors to "bite" faster rather then them chipping ice for 20 turns before getting a good "bite"

Today (-26) was the first time I had an issue with the anchors getting a quick bite

Edited by Mike Rousseau

Nice, I have a little hub from eskimo (one of the old green ones). It's been pretty good to me also! That tent fan from CT makes all the difference. It lets me get away with a little buddy heater most of the time even in a fish trap guide, unless it's really freaking cold!

Edited by porkpie

The one I have has a fan, some led lights and it runs off 3 AA batteries. It has a hook that folds out and I just hang it off a pole on the roof and you can change the direction of the fan wherever you want.

Thanks,sounds good,just checked CT on line and couldn't find them,will have to drop in to the store.

How did you guys set up the tent fan?,great idea,probably small and battery operated?.Nice review Mike.!!

The one I got is pretty small.... Abouts a pop can in size.... And runs on 2 D batteries.... It comes with a built in hook to hang from the poles on the roof.... I added a metal carabiner because I don't want the plastic clip to break... I pointed the fan straight down to blow the hot air th the floor... The fan has a pivoting head as well... So when the sun came up and warmed the south east corner of the hut I then pointed the fan to the north west corner if the hut...

Nice review.

Im going back to a flip over next season. I like the room in the hub,but when it,s move time in the cold,it,s a P3TA.

The screws they give with the hub is the best on the market. I never have to use water. I just use this. :D

adaptor2003_zps5b0da579.jpg

adaptor2004_zpsac04f837.jpg

Excellent review Mike thanks. Saw your post when you bought it. I just missed the sale back then. Thanks for the update on your experience. Any issues with condensation?

Hey Brian if you have the 3i and are going to sell it to get a flip over let me know.

Edited by manjo39

Excellent review Mike thanks. Saw your post when you bought it. I just missed the sale back then. Thanks for the update on your experience. Any issues with condensation?

We had frost build up the day it was -26... Once the sun came up and it got above -20 it all melted and dried out... That's also when I learnt to use the fan to blow warm air to the colder areas of the hut

We had frost build up the day it was -26... Once the sun came up and it got above -20 it all melted and dried out... That's also when I learnt to use the fan to blow warm air to the colder areas of the hut

Great feedback. Thanks again. It has helped in making my decision and I'll buy with confidence.