Ontario Man Jailed for Fishing Violations

Old Ironmaker

this one?

http://www.nugget.ca/2015/01/30/mattawa-man-fined-for-violating-fishing-regulations

Mattawa man fined for violating fishing regulations 2

Friday, January 30, 2015 3:49:00 EST PM

A Mattawa man who pleaded guilty to a series of fishing violations has been sentenced to seven days in jail.

Shawn Miller pleaded guilty to four counts of possessing walleye over his legal limit and one count each of unlawfully transporting fish, possessing a commercial gill net and selling walleye.

Each count carries a seven day jail sentence. Miller will serve his sentences concurrently.

The court also issued an order prohibiting Miller from obtaining or possessing a fishing licence and engaging in any fishing-related activities for five years.

Justice of the Peace Susan Hilton heard the case in the Ontario Court of Justice, North Bay, on Jan. 21.

Court heard that during the spring and summer of 2013, the Ministry of Natural Resources and Forestry received information that Miller was catching over-limits of walleye using a gill net and by angling in Tee, Red Pine and Papineau lakes and the Ottawa River.

On July 12 and August 27, 2013, conservation officers observed Miller catch and retain a large quantity of walleye.

Officers executed a search warrant at his residence on Aug. 29.

According to the MNR, Miller admitted to taking over-limits of walleye on a regular basis while fishing the Ottawa River and not adhering to the Ontario fishing regulations.

The MNR also stated Miller admitted that the fish he caught by netting were taken to his residence and sold in Mattawa.

Officers seized a gill net, walleye, fishing gear and a boat and motor. All seized items were forfeited, except for the boat and motor, which will be returned to the rightful owner.

For more information regarding catch and possession limits, gear restrictions, open seasons and fish sanctuaries for the specific waters anglers plan to fish, please consult the Ontario Fishing Regulations Summary available at ontario.ca/fishing.

To report a natural resources violation, call the MNRF TIPS line at 1-877-847-7667 toll-free any time or contact your local ministry office during regular business hours. You can also call Crime Stoppers anonymously at 1-800-222-TIPS (8477).

Edited by Terry

my most memorable "take a kid to work day" Adam. Lower Rideau circa 1977... CO pulling up on a 26'r. and asking "Have you caught anything"?. Not much was the response. I stayed in the ministry boat with my father while the CO boarded the other boat. Multiple x the limit in the cooler.

CO asked.. where did you launch the boat and the owner stated at the Rideau Ferry launch. "I don't like to do inspections on the water, so lets go back to the dock". Next was.. " how did you get the boat here" and what followed was "that's my Caddy over there with the trailer". CO asked "have you got the keys?" and before I knew it my father had the trailer on the ramp, boat loaded and gone. I rode back to Lanark with the CO in the ministry truck. That Caddy, boat and trailer stayed locked up in Lanark for over 3 years.

Just like many other crimes. Possession of more fish than what is allowed by law IS STILL A CRIME! 7 days in jail sounds good , denying fishing privileges for 5 years is great. Confiscating fishing equipment - awesome! I wish they would have imposed a large monetary fine as well! These actions would send a strong message to people who wish to disobey the law.