Mono musky leaders

bobkayla

Re crimps, i use High Seas as Lew mentioned make sure there rated for the line you choose, and also double barrelled, best to use swaging pliers to crimp, and i personally use 2 crimps at the swivel, and 2 crimps at the String ease cross lock, i also tie as well using a Canoe Knot which Ron on the board showed me, and it will tie the heavy 150 pound as well

The big thing i have issues with on Floro is when it gets knicked from bagging rocks, its most likely still good, but i loose confidence at that point, and change leaders, making it expensive compards to mono, but ive fished with anglers who used knicked floro leaders without hesitation.

I have used Triline Big Game Mono, and its certainly softer then Floro in the same test, so i would assume the softer mono would allow a wider swing with a crank bait, instead of the stiffer floro, again its my personal opinion, and fishing comes down to personal preference and confidence

Just got home from work,,,,,great info ,,,,,love it,,,,I'm going to try the mono

This season after talking to a few buddies at work some say don't some say do ,,,the main thing that I am leaning towards is more action on the lure from the softer mono,,,,,will post my results in the upcoming season

Thanks again to all

[url=http://s315.photobucket.com/user/bobkayla08/media/musky007_zps5e0ff99b.jpg.html]musky007_zps5e0ff99b.jpg[/url

Like many others have said I use Floro for the confidence that it will hold up in a Muskies mouth if its in there it happened to me a number of times l we the years big fish just crushable bait next thing I know the line is across the mouth. So far Floro has not let me down in these situations.

I also make my own but have been buying the husky musky leaders the last few seasons the price is good for them.

i too use about a 3-4' fluoro or wire leader when trolling. braid will get chewed up by rocks/zebra mussels, especially if you're making contact with bottom frequently -- that's the type of trolling i do where i fish. if i were open water trolling like they do on st claire i would propably shorten them to 2'.

i personally wouldn't use mono but others do and have no issues so...... i don't see the action of a 8-12" bait being affected by a stiff leader material at all. we're not trolling little rapalas.

Edited by Raf

The leader will depend on the type of water you are fishing. Open water basin trolling, long mono would be fine, just check it after every fish. If you are trolling structure wire is a better option. I know this year I am looking into getting some 7 strand and using it for both trolling and casting tails.

The one thing that I think is Bull is leader visibility. I do not worry about it.