Worked Hard for One Fish!!!

ccmtcanada

It was a great night to be outside last night, so bly and I went to our usual carping spot. We have noticed a decline in activity over the past week, so we had no idea what to expect. We arrived around 9pm and I cast my line in the water. A gentleman we talked to earlier in the week was there with his 6 year old son....he tried to set up his own carp setup, but needed a little help. We got him all set up and we all had our lines in the water. By 10pm, and no line bumps, so jumping, no nothing, the 6 year old was falling asleep! They went home shortly after.

Bly and I kept our lines in the water until 1130 and finally decided to give up on this spot. This was the first time we had no line bumps!! We drove a short while to another spot we'd heard there were large numbers...we had no idea where to fish, so we started out on a side close to where we parked our car. Another 30 minutes, and nothing...but at least we heard some activity!! Problem was it was clear on the other side of the water, and we couldn't cast there from where we were.

So, we packed up and began walking...trying to get as close as we could. We found a spot where we had a chance to land one if we hooked one and threw our lines back in the water. Then we saw something that made our heart sink a little. About 40 feet in front of us, we could see fish at the surface....their fins sticking up and not moving from their spot. Uh uh...the dreaded spawn!! In desperation, I cast my line away from that area and sat there...waiting. Again, no line bumps and no action. Suddenly, at 1:30am, without warning, drag began peeling from my reel!

This was a nice sized one. It took about 20 minutes to bring in. It went away from me...then wayyy to my right...to my left...everywhere! Just as I got it in close, it would bolt again...I didn't want to lose this fish! Then, my heart sank...there was a huge tree branch in the water...sticking out about 6 feet into the water....my line got tangled in it. Bly ran over, reached into the water and began to drag that huge branch up on the shore. I felt no tension anymore, I thought he broke off. Bly finally had the log close enough to reach for my line and lo and behold the carp was still there!!! I gave some slack and she managed to unwrap my line....the fight was back on!!

A few minutes later, it finally came in...this 33 inch, 19 pound 7 ounce carp. I had hopes of a personal best (34.5", 21 pounds), but it was not to be!

The dreaded log!!!!!

gallery_60_23_21884.jpg

And my Fishy!!! It was banged up...notice the top fin and damaged scales. The other side was worse.

gallery_60_23_4665.jpg

And that's my fish story for the day....LOL.

Good job Cliff, you guys are having some fun out there - nice teamwork. Congrats on another nice (well as Wayne said ugly...) fish

Good on ya to for helping out the dad and his set up problems, hope it pays off for him and his son.

Man Cliff...they just keep gettin uglier and uglier ! :D

LOL...some say the same about me....and my friends and family keep me around....

Everyone needs to be wanted by someone....carp included!!! :lol:

Edited by ccmtcanada

Thats a beauty for sure cliff.......You and bly should come to dover. I was at a spot last night that is just absolutley teaming with huge big lake erie carp. So much so they were swimming right past my feet. I was out catching minnows and the water was just teaming with them. I am heading nack down this avo as i want to get some video footage. I could have kicked myself last night for not having my camera.....lol

Great report great picture.....& carp are not ugly. :P lol :lol:

Nice carp Cliff. I am leaving in about 2 hours to Long Sault on the St. Lawrence, my buddy Jackel is already down there and they are biting like crazy today. He has already got 26 , with the biggest cominig in at 33lbs. I have never caught one before so I should get my first one today. I will bring the camera and post when I get back. I am staying till Sunday night. Man are they ugly or what?!

Nice carp Cliff. I am leaving in about 2 hours to Long Sault on the St. Lawrence, my buddy Jackel is already down there and they are biting like crazy today. He has already got 26 , with the biggest cominig in at 33lbs. I have never caught one before so I should get my first one today. I will bring the camera and post when I get back. I am staying till Sunday night. Man are they ugly or what?!

Cool Badger Shark!! I look forward to your report when you get back...good luck out there...they are great fighters....even if they are not pretty!!

Sounds like one crazy 1/2 hour there Cliff, way to go (though doesn't it count as Blys if she pulled in the log?) I was at the islands today (report later) and the carp were all over the place - lots of pairs swimming along and several of them 'getting it on' in little trees and bushes sticking into the water.

Cliff you and Bly are like the energizer Bunnies you keep going and going fishing ;you start off targetting a new species and with very little time the fish keep getting bigger and bigger and swimming and fighting and landing them and then the tag team combo the spouse brings in the log and then the mammoth is landed .PRICELESS.The Dynamic Duo has done it again.Your teams must be grateful to have you.

Beauty carp Cliff eventhough Wayne says there ugly. :whistling:

:clapping: MTP :clapping:

Great report!

You stuck it out.

Quote:

"...I felt no tension anymore, I thought he broke off. Bly finally had the log close enough to reach for my line and lo and behold the carp was still there!!! I gave some slack and she managed to unwrap my line....the fight was back on!!"...

Well done again.... you've certainly got those night time carp biting.

I'm just wondering, now that you've mastered Walleye, Pike, Steelhead and now carp - what's the next species??

If anyone could achieve the quest I set myself this year (of catching as many of Ontario's fish species in a year) it is you, and they wouldn't be the small fish I catch!

You're a real inspiration.

Thanks