cooking thread...

They say a picture is worth a thousand words. Well in this case it's all the same word, mmmmmm, a thousand times, every time I get to savour the wonderful taste of home grown garlic, and not that china crap from the grocers. For any of you who who don't grow your own, you really should try it. It's quite simple, and very rewarding.

IMG_0644_zpsm0k9yvw6.jpg

Cheers

Sure hope you got a guard dog,,, then again, hope you dont. LOL FRESH IS BEST.

Venison stew tonight - started with about four pounds of venison so it was good MEATY stew. :canadian:

Wife is on the phone so maybe I can sneak back upstairs and take a photo without her asking me what the hell I am doing taking pictures of the food again.... :dunno:

Doug

Doug that stew sounds great , too bad I could not get your rare photo op to come up lol

They say a picture is worth a thousand words. Well in this case it's all the same word, mmmmmm, a thousand times, every time I get to savour the wonderful taste of home grown garlic, and not that china crap from the grocers. For any of you who who don't grow your own, you really should try it. It's quite simple, and very rewarding.

IMG_0644_zpsm0k9yvw6.jpg

Cheers

Smitty you should lock those up in a vault lol, used to plant garlic in the fall back in Barrie, you would see it come up thru the last skiff of snow in the spring, tried starting it indoors here this spring and then put outside in some boxes, but its not doing much of anything :wallbash: There is nothing like using freshly grown garlic, the oils that come out of the cloves are amazing, not like the dehydrated bone dry stuff at the grocery store lol, Next year I might just try putting the cloves directly into the soil in the spring, I dont think they could survive -50 windchills if put into the soil in the fall

John

John I'm a big believer in fall planting, but I never plant until at least mid November. Springtime bulbs would be far inferior for planting purposes I think. I want the roots to start developing but I don't want green shoots to start growing up towards the surface, which is what can happen if planted in Sept/Oct. I also make sure to mulch with a good 4"-6" of leaves, which slows down the freezing of the soil and also prevents any freeze/thaw cycle during winter warm spells, which you certainly don't have to worry about up there until spring gets closer..

I really don't know what the difference would be with your much colder winters. I mean, frozen is frozen right? We do get some pretty cold winters here, but I've never had winter kill,even with 3 ft. of frost in the ground. Russia is well known for their garlic, Siberian and Russian Red, and it's damn cold there as well. A quick google search showed folks fall planting in Alaska.

Personally, I wouldn't hesitate to try fall planting if I were up there. Make sure you have good drainage, preferably in raised beds, and mulch real heavy. I would even pile the snow real thick on top of that to further insulate. The other main most important thing would be to find the northern most supplier of quality garlic you can find, and plant northern type varieties like the Russians or Music, which grows real well around here. Plus it will give you good garlic for the winter eating. Don't plant store bought as it was probably grown in warm climates or even worse, China.

One last thing you may already be aware of. Generally. the bigger the clove planted, the bigger the bulb will be, but it's actually the size of the base of the clove which is the determining factor. And don't plant damaged or inferior looking cloves, save them for eating first.

Cheers

Was looking for something quick and simple after the long weekend Monday night for supper.

1/2 bag of frozen hash brown potatoes (fried so crisp the sauce on the pork wouldn't make them soggy)

1 lb of my world famous Peach Schnapps Pulled Pork

2oz Grated Marble Cheese

I was eating in 20 minutes from when I walked in the door. Best part though was only 1 frying pan, I plate, and one fork to clean up!!!

Peach Schnapps Pulled Pork Poutine

Edited by Canuck2fan