cooking thread...

Started trying out my father's day cookbook that the grandkids gave me. Tonight I served up some creole jambalaya. Toss in some perch, some shrimp, and a good helping of andouille sausage. Had to dumb down the heat a little for the rest of the family, but some good, ah garontie!!

Definitely a recipe I will repeat.

Dont email me anymore John, your adding too much to my grocery bill

Looks AWESOME!

thx rick

marinated chicken breasts in swiss chalet marinate sauce, super easy. Stuffed with swiss cheese, Followed by HHs famous asparigus proscuito cheese wraps, with yukon gold and yams brushed with olive oil and a dash of rosemary followed by some porkkabobs marinated in sweet onion salad dressing with a touch of olive oil and rosmary not as impressive as some of the other postings but still good eats

Had a good one today. Unfortunately forgot pics. Signed up for a CSA this year so have some things I'm not used to using that I made this dish from

Take Swiss chard and cut the stems out and chop into slices a couple inches thick. Save the stems for pickling. Sauté them a few minutes in oil and garlic. Salt them after cooking. Before hand and they will shed too much water to cook properly.

Slice some strawberries and coat in evoo and a

Salt and roast at 375 until they have shed their water and the water has boiled off

Grill some chicken thighs very high heat and liberally salted.

Finally toss some pea shoots with evoo salt some good balsamic and a bit of lime juice if not quite acidic enough.

Assemble with a bed of chard with roasted strawberries on top. Add the chicken ( I put a bit of browned butter on the chicken but totally optional) and top with the pea shoots. Was amazing balance of bitter, sweet, savoury and acid. I served it with onion and garlic risotto made

From roasted chicken stock. Great in season dish.

Edited by Consigliere

My Aunt used to make the asparagus spears wrapped with Prosciutto. I wouldn't eat them when I was a kid, what an idiot I would kill for them today. Same as Baccalla, I would run away at the smell.

What things would you turn your nose up when you are a kid that love know? There are some things I still can't stomach, Tripe and Liver are two of which. Then is food I loved as a child and will not touch now, if I eat any type of breakfast cereal now I can not hold it down, too sweet. I actually will vomit. Can't even watch the commercials.

I was a weird kid. I absolutely loved any type of olive, sardines, oysters, pickled herring. I even loved fish oil lol. Still love all those thing btw.

As a child partidge stew was my favorite food. Still love that too.

I hated sandwiches, any kind of sandwich. Now I absolutley love a good sandwich.

I loved raw celery as a child. Now i can only have it in soups/stews.

Oh and parsley. I used to eat parsley like a savage as a kid. My mom always laughed at that

Also I hate sweets. Always have. Except cheesecake, and rhubarb apple crisp

Edited by manitoubass2

I'm sorry Tom Hagen (consigliore) I don't eat fruit with any entrees. I'll save it for desert, not even apple with pork.

We had beans and greens tonight, simple cheap and good, good for you too. Brown some garlic in evoo, add dry chili to taste add about 6 cups or 2 boxes of low sodium chicken stock, cut up any type of greens, at least 6 cups (I don't measure one complete head of greens) it shrinks 10 to 1. A dash of salt and pepper. I will add stalks cut up depending on what greens. Add 2 cans or equivalent of Navy Beans and greens, simmer until greens are cooked and beans are soft. Add Parm, Romano or Assiago cheese. Served traditionally with a few pieces of Crostini (small toasted bread) on bottom of a large bowl and ladle on soup. Add cheese and chilies if you wish again on top and drizzle with evo.

It can be any type of greens, from Swiss chard, Dandelion or collard greens to Rapini or Endive lettuce, my favorite and everything in between. Great anytime of year. No pics because I am still trying.

Add a cup of precooked macaroni and you have Pasta Fagiolo (also called fasool in Canuck) with greens or sans greens. t doesn't get any easier than that. Note never, ever, I repeat never rinse any type of pasta in water, if it's going to sit add some olive oil to it and mescolare, mix. so it doesn't stick together, rinsing with water washes away the taste, we don't want to that, never.

It takes more time to open the cans of beans and wash and cut up the greens than to cook it.

Make some Crostino (toasted bread) drizzled with Extra virgin olive oil (evo) and enjoy.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

looks awesome!

Thanks spincast, we dont have swiss chalet up here but my wife found swiss chalet marinate, in a package where the gravy packets r at the grocery store, 1/4 cup water add one third of the packet plus 2 tbls of vegetable oil stir till disolved then prick the chicken breasts with a fork,,,place marinate with chicken in a zip lock for 1 hour then bbq , we stuff ours after taking out of zip lock but thats optional

The flavour is truly amazing

Makes u feel like your in civilization again lol

Some, no actually most of these presentations are works of art! I am totally amazed by some of the plating here!

Here is a little tip for you more basic cooks; if you are making a beef stew, throw in 1/8 tsp of nutmeg for every lb of beef. A camp chef tought me that one because I taught him to throw in a good slice of orange peel (about an inch wide and two or three inches long) for every lb of beef. (NEVER tried them together though). But if you want that stew to make everyone go "WOW". either of these make a huge differance. It's the little things that count (at least that's what I keep telling my wife ;)

So where are those secret pasta sauces.You know, like mama use to make. I have a couple I have been given, but would like to see some different styles. Some use meat in their sauces, some use just veggies. I like the meat ones, but can live with the veggie ones as well. I love my pasta. IT,S ALL FOOD . :D

No secrets on my end.

About 20 ripe tomatoes added to a glass casserole dish, drizzle with olive oil, salt pepper oregeno and basil. Add about 1/2 cup of sugar and a dime of habenero

Cook on 350 for oh, 6 hours or so(depending). Sometimes ill cook it for 8 or ten hours.

Take out and smash it if ya like chunky, our puree if you like smooth.

Then do whatever you want with it, add meat or....

Simple, tasty. Doesnt make lots though. Takes alot of tomatoes to make a good batch of sauce

And if you love pasta brian, here is an easy but tasty dish i make when im lazy lol.

Boil some rotini noodles till done. Add a drizzle of olive oil, salt and pepper, then top with a good parma(ill also add black olives and or sundried tomatoes too)

Edited by manitoubass2

And if you love pasta brian, here is an easy but tasty dish i make when im lazy lol.

Boil some rotini noodles till done. Add a drizzle of olive oil, salt and pepper, then top with a good parma(ill also add black olives and or sundried tomatoes too)

Simple is always the tastiest at times.

You forgot the thinly sliced fresh garlic. :clapping:

Thanks Rick.

And that pasta dish is good cold too Brian.

Sometimes I bring it out as a snack while fishing, and Ill just add some crushed tomatoes, put in tupperware and in the cooler it goes

I can deal with that. (no added tomatoe though) Add some whole olives,some feta chuncks.