cooking thread...

No pics but a good meal. Use beef heart instead of stewing beef for stew. Cheaper, better vitamin content and no one will know the difference.

Also put up roasted tomatoe, butter, garlic spaghetti sauce and a pork shoulder ragu in the oven know.

Since getting the pressure canner for Christmas and figuring it out it is an amazing addition of you make your own stock. Double every soup/stew recipe and can it. Sauces double them to and can. I did one can or carrots and that was a big miss to sort out this summer but it is a huge value add to the kitchen to save freezer space.

No pics but a good meal. Use beef heart instead of stewing beef for stew. Cheaper, better vitamin content and no one will know the difference.

Also put up roasted tomatoe, butter, garlic spaghetti sauce and a pork shoulder ragu in the oven know.

Since getting the pressure canner for Christmas and figuring it out it is an amazing addition of you make your own stock. Double every soup/stew recipe and can it. Sauces double them to and can. I did one can or carrots and that was a big miss to sort out this summer but it is a huge value add to the kitchen to save freezer space.

Yessir!

I cannot can

My wife "can" though.

Akashag is gonna show me this year, right dood?

Yessir!

I cannot can

My wife "can" though.

Akashag is gonna show me this year, right dood?

Have canner, will travel!

I have a batch of steelhead fillets resting (to make the pellicle) right now, then they'll go into the smoker and then they'll be canned. Smoked steelhead in a jar if just fabulous - the canning process drives the smoke flavour into every molecule of the fish.

Doug

This one is taken from my Hungarian great grand mother, on my fathers side. It is a very simple meal to make, but lately the cost of this meat has been high. When it does drop, I always like to get a roll and make this up.

It,s a cured cottage roll, that I slice and dice into 1"-1.5" cubes. When it was made back when I was a young,n, the cuts were much smaller, as there was a large family gathering to feed. Since it,s just the mrs,s an I, I like the large chunks.

So simply, cut up the roll, onions,and peppers some garlic if you wish. Combined in one pot. Bring to a boil, then simmer for 4 hours. Once that is done, add the can of diced tomatoes. Add fresh ground pepper. I like lots, but some dont, so I reserve my extra for later. This will rest til dinner time. Just before then, I will bring it back to a boil and thicken with starch. This was always served over boiled potatoes. Lots of potatoes back then. Over rice is very nice as well.

I would recommend not adding salt to this as there is a great salt content already in the meat from the cure.

hungry dinner 002.JPG

hungry dinner 003.JPG

hungry dinner 005.JPG

hungry dinner 006.JPG

Enjoy.

I love cottage roll, not cheap anymore though. I only had it for the first time a few years ago, I just fill the pot until the cottage roll is covered in water and simmer for a few hours. Then I cut the net off and add potatoes and carrots salt and lots of black pepper and simmer until the potato and carrot is done. The potatos and sugar from the carrots thicken the broth to a gravy. My wife tried feeding me it over 20 years ago but wouldn't touch what she calls "boiled diner" with a 10 foot pole. I never heard of boiling pork. Now I love it because I tried it.

Yes, the wife use to cook it that way, til me ma made it like this for her. My pop would use the strain spoon to get all the meat. I learned that trick well too.LOL

There was always lots of sauce when this was made. There was also lots of bread to sop it up. Next best thing, if there were no potatoes left.

I love cottage roll, not cheap anymore though. I only had it for the first time a few years ago, I just fill the pot until the cottage roll is covered in water and simmer for a few hours. Then I cut the net off and add potatoes and carrots salt and lots of black pepper and simmer until the potato and carrot is done. The potatos and sugar from the carrots thicken the broth to a gravy. My wife tried feeding me it over 20 years ago but wouldn't touch what she calls "boiled diner" with a 10 foot pole. I never heard of boiling pork. Now I love it because I tried it.

As a kid the boiled dinner was the same cottage roll but mom used cabbage instead of the potatoes and of course carrots.

Ya got to shop around. I know when and where to go these days. Zhers has been pretty good to me. Again I picked up 6 packs a ground beef for $2.50-$2.70 a pack. Drums and thighs for $5. 10 drums or 10 thighs.

When Im not fishing, Im browsing the local stores. I buy whole pork loins and slice them. Big savings.

Bargoon of the week in the flyers that start today seems to be fresh , boneless, skinless chicken breasts, both Basics and No Frills have them for $3.33 and $3.44 respectively. I buy the sales and vacuum pac and freeze, some of the non sales prices get bit crazy lately. I can't see stew meat being higher than the cheaper steak cuts, which it usually is ?

I did a giant pork shoulder in the crockpot yesterday, not to shabby. Although I'm sure not on the level like some of you guys :)

Best part was I think it cost me $6.

$6 is crazy! Can't beat that, that's for sure