cooking thread...

Glad the pictures actually showed up.

So that was rabbit, off the bones, done up with some Vidalia onions and apples, with Korma sauce and raisins, on Basmati rice. It was very good, even if I do say so myself.

We had enough for leftovers, and like most similar dishes, the flavours improved with a couple days in the fridge.

But if I take any more food pictures it will be when my wife is NOT readily on the scene..............

Doug

Glad the pictures actually showed up.

So that was rabbit, off the bones, done up with some Vidalia onions and apples, with Korma sauce and raisins, on Basmati rice. It was very good, even if I do say so myself.

We had enough for leftovers, and like most similar dishes, the flavours improved with a couple days in the fridge.

But if I take any more food pictures it will be when my wife is NOT readily on the scene..............

Doug

Ok now I want some..

Pm me the recipe as I have some fresh waboose just waiting to be eaten

What the heck is waboose?

And what the heck is a recipe?

Doug

A recipe is a bunch of food thrown together loosely to make a dish edible.

waboose is ojibwe for rabbit. Or it can also describe a a drunk individual that wants more beer but missed the beer store

Fresh deer liver! AWESOME!!!! Slice it as thinly as possible with your best filleting knife, then soak it overnight in milk, then season it with garlic powder and Hy's seasoning salt, shake in flour, and pan-fry at high heat. A few seconds per side, still a bit pink in the middle, just absolutely delicious!!!! One of my favourite meals!

Doug

back to m2b2, thanks for that.

Take your rabbits, well rinsed and all of the blood out of the meat, cut into about six pieces and simmer them for maybe an hour and a half in chicken stock or whatever stock you might have on hand. (I added about four or five whole cardamon seeds to the broth for extra flavour) Take out the pieces and reserve the broth.

Let the pieces cool and take the meat off the bones. Keep the big pieces for your rabbit dish and put the rest back into the broth and make rabbit noodle soup. Take the big pieces and shred them into pieces that are about a quarter-bite-size.

For two rabbits worth of meat:

one medium Vidalia or other sweet onion, diced

one to two apples, pared, cored and diced

margarine

one bottle of Korma Cooking Sauce (or make your own)

about half a cup of raisins

Saute the onions and apple in the margarine until just tender. Add the rabbit meat, raisins and Korma sauce and heat until bubbling. I let mine simmer at VERY low heat for another ten minutes or so to let the flavours meld. Serve on rice or noodles or whatever floats yer boat. I think it would be very good with crusty bread as Gerritt mentioned.

I think I probably added garlic too, but I forget. I cook most stuff from scratch without a recipe.......

Doug

Fresh deer liver! AWESOME!!!! Slice it as thinly as possible with your best filleting knife, then soak it overnight in milk, then season it with garlic powder and Hy's seasoning salt, shake in flour, and pan-fry at high heat. A few seconds per side, still a bit pink in the middle, just absolutely delicious!!!! One of my favourite meals!

Doug

You forgot the fried onions and bacon. About a 1/2 lb of each. Now I'm drooling.

Before my one neighbour had to give up the hunt, I used to receive a very generous supply of deer liver every fall from the 5-6 deer he'd harvest every year. (He hated the stuff)

Ok more about liver..........

When my two oldest sons were about 5 and 8, I had them out grocery shopping. We were down in the meat aisle and I asked them if I should buy some liver. They both started jumping up and down shouting "I LOVE LIVER!!!!" Most of the grocers in the vicinity looked on in absolute astonishment...............and probably some of them reported me to the child welfare authorities........

Liver is terrible stuff unless it is properly cooked. But cooked as I described previously it is FABULOUS!!!!!

Just do not ever eat moose or deer liver the day the animal was killed, that is a guaranteed path to Montezuma's revenge.

Doug

back to bigugli............fresh ground cardamom is one of the most powerful spices I ever worked with. I would not use it on rabbit except maybe jack-rabbits or varying hares that come out of a cedar swamp, where the meat would be strongly flavoured. I imagine it would also be good on horse, dog and raccoon, probably cat, maybe possum, but of those five meats there are two I never tried yet. It is such a strong spice that the meat would need to be pretty bold in itself to carry the spice without getting pushed into the background.

Doug

Ok more about liver..........

When my two oldest sons were about 5 and 8, I had them out grocery shopping. We were down in the meat aisle and I asked them if I should buy some liver. They both started jumping up and down shouting "I LOVE LIVER!!!!" Most of the grocers in the vicinity looked on in absolute astonishment...............and probably some of them reported me to the child welfare authorities........

Liver is terrible stuff unless it is properly cooked. But cooked as I described previously it is FABULOUS!!!!!

Just do not ever eat moose or deer liver the day the animal was killed, that is a guaranteed path to Montezuma's revenge.

Doug

We ate mountains of liver growing up and loved it. Properly tenderized, dredged in seasoned flour and pan seared in the drippings from the bacon and onions. Just a hint of pink in the middle, and always ever so tender. It literally melts in your mouth.

Edited by bigugli

back to m2b2, yes I forgot about cracked pepper, I for sure put that into the recipe too.

Fry bread = bannock? that would be very good I am sure, as it is so nice and sweet. With real butter!!!

Doug

Bannock is oven cooked or traditionally over a fire. Fry bread is fried and crispier.

Yes, all we use is real butter lol.

I havent had margerine in my whole life

This is bannock. Crispy on the outside and light and fluffy one inside

april2012010.jpg

more bannock

20150318_111159_zpsg0ioctmm.jpg

here is frybread

20150223_155558_zpstu3oj2fq.jpg

Edited by manitoubass2

m2b2, how about a recipe for that fry bread?

I have a very good bannock recipe, using lard, always turns out well, but I don't think I ever had fry bread. Looks sinfully delicious.........

Doug

Yeah no prob, just let me think for abit lol. I dont follow a recipe, so I might actually have to make some lol.

Ill get on it soon here. If you like bannock you'll love frybread. And it goes so good with sooo many dishes

Rick

Edited by manitoubass2